Tropical Bird Land - first outing for the 70-200 f4L

Ste

Name
Stephen Hammond
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I went to Tropical Bird Land yesterday to try out my 70-200 f4. I bought a 400D from ebay last month as a first venture into SLR land and got the bug, I eventually ended up buying the 70-200 f4L (what a lens for the price) but I think my 400D and general lack of experience probably hold the lens's potential back quite a bit. Two main reasons really:

1) ISO400 and 800 are noisy enough to take a lot of the sharpness away (camera issue)
2) Most of the time I can't get the focus right with the narrow DOF at f4 and frame the shot well - it's either/or at the moment (user issue!)

Anyway, pics - thoughts/comments welcome. Shot in RAW and they've been through lightroom for a crop and autotone and then were sharpened on the resize, nothing major.

1)
IMG_0933.jpg

2)
IMG_0994.jpg

3)
IMG_1058.jpg

4)
IMG_1085.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

They look pretty good to me Stephen.

In that kind of light I would have thought (even @f4) you could maintain decent shutter speeds without having to crank up the ISO.

Thanks - you're right, a couple of the shots I got into LR to discover they were taken at 1/4000th at ISO800. Lesson learned - check ISO between every shot!

Was going to say the same about the ISO...

#3 is a lovely shot - very sharp and the colours are beautiful. You've controlled the DOF well on the last shot too (y)

great set really like the last one
I've got the 70-200 f4 too its an excellent lens

Back