Trouble doing boxing show

Name
bradleigh
Edit My Images
No
Hi I done my second boxing show a couple weeks back the first show I done the photos come out great but this time round it was terrible ..
It was in a different venue and the lighting was so poor I had to have my iso on 16000 to get a half decent shutter speed ..
For some reason all the action shots come with a bit of a blue tone ..but the stills was fine I was a bit baffled ..
Could anyone give me any tips if I come against this problem again with bad lighting at a boxing show ..?
My Aperture was 2.8 and the fastest shutter speed I got was 500 ..
I was shooting in Aperture priority ..
Any tips would be much appreciated

Regards

Brad

Hi Brad,

You can't really help the lighting at the venue, just aim to get the best possible images you can in that situation.
Do you mean 1600 ISO not 16000??

I would say your better off to shooting in Shutter priority mode, that way you can set your desired shutter speed to avoid blur from the fast moving subjects.
The Lens sounds like its fast at 2.8 Aperture. I would probably be shooting at 1/250s (instead of 1/500s) and having iso at 800 (instead of 1600) to reduce noise and get more useable images.

The other option is a flash but that will depend on the venue and whether the organisers will allow it.

Sounds like you know what you need to be doing but unfortunately Camera & Lenses have there limits and venues like this do test them.

Good Luck with the future shoots.

Matt

No mate I mean 16000 it was shocking and shutter speed 250 just don't seem like it's quick enough to catch fast action shots at all ..
It's not possible to use a flash ..
One positive he told me he will not be using that venue again but I just wanted some tips just in case I come across this trouble again ..

Iso 800 won't do it the first show I done I shot at 6400 and they came out perfect but this time it was shocking :(

Thank you for your help

Your welcome. Sorry not much help on this occasion.

Wow, Sounds awful. Was they boxing in the dark?
Only other option is to use a faster prime, but then you are limited unless you use a wide and crop when needed?

:(

I was using 20-40mm sigma with a Canon 5d mark iii ..I got the contract I have 17 fights to do next year my mate gave it up who ust to do it .he told me not to worry because he told the person who runs the show if he wants good photos he needs good lighting so don't expect good photos when it's poor lighting ..
His normal shows are good but this one was a charity show in a new venue .
I think I do a bit of studying on it over Christmas.

Thanks again mate

Lighting is constant at a boxing show.. Use Manual NOT Shutter or Aperture priority.. Only use those if the light changes.. It doesn't at boxing... Use Manual for best results..

Set your white balance.. I take a picture of the refs back (presuming wearing a white shirt) and use the readng off that to set white balance...

I have been in venues using iso 25600 and above..its just one of those things.. everyone knows..with boxing its more about getting a good action shot not a good noise free shot :)

Without knowing a venue and the exact light then its very hard to advise anything else...

Back