Tryfan guardian of Owgen valley

Edit My Images
No
These are from a wild camp I did earlier this year :)

Havn't posted on here for a long time. Going to dip my toe in to see how the water is ;)

Tryfan and penyolewyn_5c_800.jpg

Tryfan and penyolewyn_6_800.jpg

IMG_7954_800.jpg

purple_pen_800.jpg

really like the 1 st two..

i was only thinking about you the other day mate.. miss your work

md(y)

amazing photos, can't erally fault them at all.

only thing I would say is that the lighting seems a little harsh, perhaps even it out a bit?

Wow,spectacular scenery enhanced by spectacular lighting.:clap:

really like the 1 st two..

i was only thinking about you the other day mate.. miss your work

md

Hiya mate :) Didn't recognise your name and I had to look at your profile to find out who you were ;)

Well Well Well - A seriously big Hello !!

Light, Light and Light again! Welcome back Sie.

Hello mate :) Hope you are well :D

Welcome back at long last!! :wave:

Really liking the light in those shots, it manages to convey absolute tranquility and impending hell all at once, beautiful. :clap:

Hiya! Thanks very much! :D

Another one who has changed thier name in my absence. Is the 2 letter thing a fad you all went through? :LOL:

amazing photos, can't erally fault them at all.

only thing I would say is that the lighting seems a little harsh, perhaps even it out a bit?

Thanks :) I know where you coming from but the golden really was that saturated and intence and I am a sucker for the strong contrast :D

Lovely set, and welcome back :) We've missed some of your work.

Hi Sie,

Didn't think I'd seen you on here for a while...1st two for me aswell, really great lighting...guessing they were taken around sunset ?

This is my favourite area of Snowdonia for views & hiking...the view down the valley towards Anglesey, with Tryfan, Pen Yr Olwen & the rest of the Glyderau/Carneddau in view is something special

Tryfan really does glow sometimes, seen the otherside looking awesome a few times around sunrise

nice to see you back on the forum (y)

Simon

Last edited:
Well done for making it up there, that looked like one hell of a climb, we only made it to the edge of the lake before we headed back down to the car park :p

Lovely shots too! lovely detail and the colours are great (y) only niggle is that there is no sense of scale. The lakes in the first two are damn big, but before I realised where it was I honestly though, that's a cool shaped puddle, granted the path etc then give it away as a hill etc, not sure how you could have shown the scale more tbh, maybe someone or something in shot but then that might have spoilt the naturalness (that a work?) of it all....I dunno, excellent shots though :)

some excellent lighting, planning on doing some wild camping in the new year. This just gives me more impetus to do it.

Numbers 2 and 3 are me favs

These are stunning ,the lighting is something else .. crackers

What settings did you use for these ?

Thanks very much everyone :D

Lovely set, and welcome back :) We've missed some of your work.

Cheers :)

Hi Sie,

Didn't think I'd seen you on here for a while...1st two for me aswell, really great lighting...guessing they were taken around sunset ?

This is my favourite area of Snowdonia for views & hiking...the view down the valley towards Anglesey, with Tryfan, Pen Yr Olwen & the rest of the Glyderau/Carneddau in view is something special

Tryfan really does glow sometimes, seen the otherside looking awesome a few times around sunrise

nice to see you back on the forum (y)

Simon

Ogwen valley is my favorite too. It has so much to offer!

Yes I wild camped just by the Y Gribin ridge and sat on it waiting for the sun to do it's magic. There was cloud cover for a long time but there was a gap on the horizon and I was just hoping the last of the sun would poke through and hit Tryfan. I was granted my wish and I was a happy chappy :)

I have planned to get first light on Tryfan but you really need to be at the right time of year for the sun to come up in the right place and I have yet to work out when that is. I think it's between say April and August but exactly when is the best I have yet to discover.

Well done for making it up there, that looked like one hell of a climb, we only made it to the edge of the lake before we headed back down to the car park :p

Lovely shots too! lovely detail and the colours are great (y) only niggle is that there is no sense of scale. The lakes in the first two are damn big, but before I realised where it was I honestly though, that's a cool shaped puddle, granted the path etc then give it away as a hill etc, not sure how you could have shown the scale more tbh, maybe someone or something in shot but then that might have spoilt the naturalness (that a work?) of it all....I dunno, excellent shots though :)

Have another go at it. It's really worth getting on top of the Glyders. It's a surreal landscape up there and in cloud cover quite erie.

I know what you mean about scale. I too had the same impression the moment I looked at the images on computer. The lakes do help but I am not sure what I could have done to achive it better without comprimising a decent composure. I didn't get the impression it would be a problem while looking through the viewfinder.

These are stunning ,the lighting is something else .. crackers

What settings did you use for these ?

Thanks very much :)

The exif's are mostly intact. If you don't have an exif reader for your web browser then try this:

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

It's what I use and best of all it's freeware :D

Number 2 was a pano so no exif in image but each image was @F16 1/8 sec ISO 100

Last edited:
Splendid rich colours in all of them - I like #1 in particular for the contrasting light on the fore and middle ground, and the background in shadow; #4 would be my pick for the winding river lead-in and slightly ominous clouds. Great stuff :clap:

Cracking set with lovely tones and detail

Thanks again guys :D

Just splendid. The light capture is awesome. Were you waiting around for long to get the right light on the valleys?

Just splendid. The light capture is awesome. Were you waiting around for long to get the right light on the valleys?

I think it was around an hour or so. I had to keep moving down the one side of the ridge to escape the wind as it was strong and bitingly cold. As soon as the sun started to peep through as if by magic the wind dyed down and allowed me to concentrate on shooting.

I'm much more of a lurker in here rather than as a poster but the stunning colours and clarity of all of them photos had prompted me to place a post in here.
The last one has that "new world" look about it, I can imagine God being there wiping the dust off his hands saying "Well, that's not a bad effort if I may say so myself, now all it needs is life".
A stunning selection of pictures.

Thanks very much guys :D

Another amazing set. What time of day are you up there?

I was up on the ridge from 7pm to 8:30 sundown. I was wild camping about 300ft below it.

Thanks alot everyone :)

Can you stop posting pictures, you are depressing me.

They are all far too bloody good.

Thanks very much guys...the comments mean a lot to me :)

Back