Critique trying fill light, butterflies

Edit My Images
Yes
As I explained in my other thread I have been trying to use fill flash (with the pop up on camera flash) without much success even with minus 2 flash exposure compensation the flash is still too bright I just want a bit of brightening but not the full flash effect
was going to try a diffuser but tried a little torch works really well gives just enough light :)
the effect is very subtle the first and last shot is with fill the second one is without
the last one has the most fill light and the first one could do with a bit more fill but the idea seems to work anyway

on the last shot there's purple fringing around the black I've minimised it in Photoshop as best I can
Is this a lens effect because I was at F2.8 or is it just the angle of light that caused it?
the first 2 shots were at F4

13033191175_9ba63de71e_o.jpg

13033555604_e4ca94c4f5_o.jpg

13033334893_a774b1ea02_o.jpg

Last edited:
They're lovely shots. :)

I love them all (y)

These are fantastic and really clever way of using fill light. I think the torch light makes the subject just a tad cooler when comparing the first 2 images (not in a bad way), but agree they look just a touch too dark, and the last one seems to have better subject exposure, and the fill light lifts it off the (lovely) background. Very nice compositions in each also. Great work!

These are fantastic and really clever way of using fill light. I think the torch light makes the subject just a tad cooler when comparing the first 2 images (not in a bad way), but agree they look just a touch too dark, and the last one seems to have better subject exposure, and the fill light lifts it off the (lovely) background. Very nice compositions in each also. Great work!

Thanks Tim feedback much appreciated :)

Nice shots Pete, I use a ring flash for all my Macro work -nice soft adjustable fill light for a reasonable cost

Les ;)

Lovely compositions and colours again, especially for my eye the first one.

The fill light effect is subtle. I think Tim is right about the overall level of brightness. I just tried raising the "exposure" (I know, you can't raise the exposure after the event, but that's what Lightroom calls it :)) by half a stop for the first image, and then pulling the highlights down a bit. To me it seemed to have a much stronger effect (both in terms of light distribution and colours) than the addition of the very subtle fill light. You might want to experiment with something along those lines to see if you can get an effect you like.

I'm seeing white fringes around the upper antenna (strong) and the upper segment of the front near side leg (weaker). This might be the result of hairs + backlighting of course, but it does leave me wondering what the originals looked like.

Nice shots Pete, I use a ring flash for all my Macro work -nice soft adjustable fill light for a reasonable cost

Les ;)
thanks Les :)
I have got a flashgun a 430EX but couldn't get nice light with butterflies will try again though starting from a lower flash setting and diffusion:)

Lovely compositions and colours again, especially for my eye the first one.

The fill light effect is subtle. I think Tim is right about the overall level of brightness. I just tried raising the "exposure" (I know, you can't raise the exposure after the event, but that's what Lightroom calls it :)) by half a stop for the first image, and then pulling the highlights down a bit. To me it seemed to have a much stronger effect (both in terms of light distribution and colours) than the addition of the very subtle fill light. You might want to experiment with something along those lines to see if you can get an effect you like.

I'm seeing white fringes around the upper antenna (strong) and the upper segment of the front near side leg (weaker). This might be the result of hairs + backlighting of course, but it does leave me wondering what the originals looked like.
thanks Nick:)
will have a look again at the original raws in Lightroom the first one is my favotite too will brighten it a bit in Lightroom I was at ISO 200 so should be able to raise the exposure without getting any noise
see what you mean about the fringes in the last one the original did have purple fringing (CA) the original raw of the first shot is OK though

Brightened up the first one:)
To be honest I just opened up the Raw in lightroom and pressed auto tone came out spot on:D
Thanks very much everyone for the feedback and C&C its really helpful especially post processing improvements

13062698964_652b563776_o.jpg

That suggests we are seeing sharpening artefacts. What sharpening are you doing Pete? If you were inclined to put up a RAW version somewhere I'd be very interested to take a look at it; no problem if not of course.

Yes please not sure how to send the file not done that before
I guess upload it some where?

Yes please not sure how to send the file not done that before
I guess upload it some where?

I use a free Dropbox account. You open an account and then install dropbox software on your PC. This makes a dropbox folder so to upload to Dropbox all you have to do is to drag file(s) into that folder. Once they are uploaded you can then go to Dropbox and get a url that you can either put in a post or send by email.

There are lots of alternatives, but I don't know anything about any of them. Presumably they are rather similar. Google drive and Microsoft Skydrive are two of them.

thanks Les :)
I have got a flashgun a 430EX but couldn't get nice light with butterflies will try again though starting from a lower flash setting and diffusion:)

I have one of these - Sony fit obviously- they work very well

Les ;)

Thanks for letting me work on the RAW version of this very appealing image Pete.

Here is a 100% crop of the area I was looking at. (Click through to Flickr for larger versions as usual.)

It has been imported into Lightroom using the default settings - "As Shot" white balance and as shown here a small amount of input sharpening and colour noise reduction. As you said, it is ok - when I look very carefully at the full size version of this screenshot I can see a hint of a halo along the top edge of the sharper bottom half of the upper antenna, but I can't see it when I look at the whole image.

LCPete butterfly at 1 to 1
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

We'll come back to sharpening in a minute. First there is the issue of the level and distribution of light in the image. The sliders over on the right of this "before/after" screen shot illustrate much but not all of what I did on that front.

LCPete butterfly in Lightroom

I turned Exposure up by about half a stop, increased Temp slightly to make the colours slightly warm rather than slightly cold, and made various other adjustments that you can see from the sliders.

The background brightened up along with the butterfly so to make the butterfly stand out a little more I applied a Radial filter. What this did was to decrease the Exposure outside of the circle.

LCPete butterfly Radial filter 1

The top left of the image was still looking a bit light and desaturated for my taste, so I used another radial filter, this time applying the changes to what was inside the circle rather than what was outside. The changes were a decrease in Exposure of around one stop and an increase in Saturation.

LCPete butterfly Radial filter 2

Now the sharpening. I sent the image across to CS2 for output sharpening (I can't get as fine control over output sharpening in Lightroom as I can in CS).

I found that it doesn't take much sharpening to create a visible halo when viewing the whole picture. What I did was to duplicate the image as a second layer. Then, on the top layer, I used some sharpening that I thought looked ok for the rest of the image, but which produced a bit of a halo on the antennae. I then used the Eraser to erase the antennae from the top image, revealing the unsharpened antennae in the bottom layer. In fact, that looked a bit too soft, so I reversed the erasing I had done, reduced the opacity of the Eraser a bit, and used the Eraser on the antennae as before. This time what I got was a mixture of the two layers, with an in-between amount of sharpness along the edge of the antennae, with the halo reduced to an almost imperceptible amount.

Here are two versions you might like to download and compare by flicking between them in something that lets you flip back and forth between the versions without taking your eyes off the images. This makes smaller differences visible than you can see by moving your eyes back and forth between two versions.

This version is how the image looked after importing into Lightroom. The only other thing I have done to it is to reduce its height to 1100 pixels.

NOT MY IMAGE - LCPete butterfly IMG_8043 resized straight from RAW

This version is how the image looked after the changes I have described in this post.

NOT MY IMAGE - LCPete butterfly IMG_8043-Edit-3 PS1 PSS3.63 layer desharpen

Obviously, there are infinite variations you could use. I'm just trying to illustrate the sort of thing that can be done here. It is of course up to you to decide how you would like your images to look.

Last edited:
dragonflies, butterflies and kingfishers... all the bane of me never been able to get a decent shot of one! though the Kingfisher is my holy grail. seen them many times but never close enough to get a shot or when ive been without a camera

Thanks very much Nick for editing the shot and showing how you did it
Looks really good
Am at work at the moment on shifts but when I finish in a couple of days I will have a try editing it the way you did
Thanks
Pete

I have re edited the first shot using the radial filter in lightroom 5 the way Nick described
its a really good tool I hadn't tried it before but certainly will now
thanks again Nick for taking the time to show us what you can do with lightroom and how to improve my image very much appreciated:)

13146872614_5b9e3e500d_o.jpg

Back