Trying out HDR for the first time

Hello and welcome, I'm pretty new here myself!

I like your HDR photos, very nice indeed! Certainly better viewing in the larger size on fickr though.

Thanks for the feedback, forgot to say if you right click and select open in new window you can see them big

I like them very much. It's refreshing to see HDR not overdone and looking grungy. (The look of HDR I personally detest). I don't do it much nowadays but when I do it's more on the believable side and just used to get the maximum out of all the tones not to look like a cartoon.
:clap:

Excellent for your first attempt and well done for giving it ago, I've lost track of the number of negative comments and haters I've encountered with HDR.

Are these tone mapped or fusion blended, did you use Photomatix or something else for the conversion?

You will get more feedback if you post in the photo sharing forums

Good work though, really nice photos

Thanks for moving it for me,

so yeh any advice or general thoughts on the photos,

i mainly do extreme sport photography so this was a huge contrast for me

I'm new so I don't even know what HDR stands for but whatever it is, you've done a great job! I'm sure the extreme sports are more exciting though ;)

High Dynamic Range, take multiple shots with different exposures then merge them all together on the computer. Makes taking pictures of static stuff more fun!

Thanks for pointing that out to me :D I'll have to give it a try one time when I've got my hands on a tripod and a suitable lens :D

Very nice (y):clap: not overdone which is what people tend to do with HDR

I hate overdone HDR's and you've got them spot on (imo of course). Not tried any nighttime HDR's but think I'm going to have to give them a go now!

Love the one taken under the bridge. If I had taken that or anything near as good I would be walking on air. Well done it deserves being blown up big and going on a wall somewhere. :clap:

Im a big fan of HDR and I think you have got it spot-on. (in my opinion) As other poster have said, its so easy to go overboard with HDR (a guilty pleasure for me in the past) but hey each to their own. A chap once said to me 'I dont like your images that you mess about with, they dont look real' I simply replied 'Dont blooming look at them then!'
Blending multiple exposure's is hardly new, and it can really bring an image to life! Keep up the great work!

Thanks for all the feedback - think i might try it in a few more places then go back to normal photography. HDR always seems to carry negativity with it as it is fairly un natural

Well, Its not really 'un-natural' so to speak. Remember the camera cant really expose for everything your eye is seeing in the scene in one shot. Blending exposures is hardly new and I think you have done a cracking job by not going overboard like many of us do. You will allways be up against 'purist's' with something like this but photography has been manipulated throughout the years, long before digital. You can't please eveyone all of the time, but if just one person stops and looks, and says 'WOW' then thats got to be worth it!!:cool:

Excellent for your first attempt and well done for giving it ago, I've lost track of the number of negative comments and haters I've encountered with HDR.

Are these tone mapped or fusion blended, did you use Photomatix or something else for the conversion?

Also interested to know the answer to this.

Great shots!

Also interested to know the answer to this.

Great shots!

I used HDRtist from the mac app store to merge the images, which did a half decent job, then stuck them into Lightroom to brush up a few areas and play with some settings

Back