Edit My Images
Yes
Tried light trails for first time:
trail1_2.jpg

My second tried out:
trail2_2.jpg

:love::
mum_and_jenna2.jpg

I really like the first two, I've got to have a go at light trails at some point! The last looks a bit soft and out of focus around though, it's noticeable around the eyes I think. Have you processed it at all, or is that how it came from the camera?

Chris

The trails is surprisedly easy! I have used the tripod and gone with 30 seconds exposure, then the job's done :)

Yeah I have processed it because I have used the built-in flash (not good idea but I couldn't afford external flash for now!)

What about this?
mum_and_jenna_two.jpg

You have to be really careful with f/1.8 - the DOF is very shallow and the 2nd pic you posted is also at 1/20 sec and I think it suffers as a result - its damn difficult to keep a cam steady for that long. And / or you locked onto the focus and then moved forwards or backwards ever so slightly before taking the pic

In the 1st portrait one, the younger girl is in focus, but because the other person is sat slightly behind, she's out of the sharp focus plane.

I really like the light trails. Presumably (hopefully) the high trails are a couple of HGVs and not some low fly past by the RAF

Thanks, mobilevirgin.

I used f1.8 on the two girls, I think I need to increase the aperture numbers in the future otherwise the DOF would be shallow like my above images. Am I correct? :)

Thanks, mobilevirgin.

I used f1.8 on the two girls, I think I need to increase the aperture numbers in the future otherwise the DOF would be shallow like my above images. Am I correct? :)

In theory, yes you are correct.

But its worth experimenting - I see from your profile that you use a 350D - and that's great at handling high ISO - have no worries about pushing the ISO up to 1000 or even more to get faster shutter speeds. Also try some B&W conversions - when noise doesn't matter so much (or creates more mood) and contrast tweaks make things more interesting

Just by way of example, I did a B&W conversion and then applied a filter that sharpened the OOF person and blurred the sharp one - so as to even them out - IYSWIM. I'm sure there are other things that can be done.

9866903575477319212.jpg

Wow! Useful information from you, thanks :) I will experiment more with the nifty fifty as I find the lens fantastic!

Back