Trying something different for me. Please comment.

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
I usually like landscape photography and not really tried close ups so on my walk the other day i thought i would give it a try. Heres a select few hope you like, please comment all comments welcome and tips to improve.

1198.jpg

2152.jpg

3125.jpg

484.jpg

just one point i can make,on the first one.....if you get the chance to re-take it simply move all of the grass from in front of the subject etc,a little preparation if you like

Love the mushroom shots. Agree about the grass that Ian just mentioned. A little bit of gardening :)

The second one really needs a pixie sat on it. Brilliant shot :)

Very much like the first two.

I have mixed feelings about the grass in front of the subject. I can see the point of getting a clear view of the subject. But on the other hand I find I have to be careful with that sort of improvement (and I do do it - I have tweezers and scissors in my bag for that very reason). However, I find that sometimes a shot has some "character" (not quite the right word but it'll have to do for now) because of the random placement of elements, including sometimes ones which impinge on the subject, character which disappears when I tidy up for a better shot, and which actually makes the shot seem rather bland sometimes. (The "character" here might be of the "hiding in the undergrowth" type of thing.) So, perhaps take a shot or three without changing anything to begin with, and then try for a tidied-up version?

(And sometimes I try tidying-up a shot where an insect or spider is the subject - silly really, hardly ever works, as things on the ground are often interconnected and pulling one bit here joggles something else over there and hey presto, exit subject in an instant.)

For the fern to work for me the half frond that is in focus would need to stand out more from the OOF fronds above and below it. (I don't know how one would achieve that, but someone else might.)

In the last one, it's a personal preference, but I try to avoid images in which there is an out of focus element nearer the camera than the subject and obscuring some of the subject. It can work, if there is an element of "framing" about it, but in this case the front OOF element is, to my eye, too much in the middle of things, getting in the way, a distraction.

The third one is spot on.

Second is really nice though I'd do some PP on removing what looks like a bit of close to lens grass just before the leaf to make it perfect. (I now when photoing fungi check the shot in liveview / aftershot for annoying bits like this, then move the infringing bit - with still subject this is a big advantage of digital - for bugs take a shot then slowly move the stuff and if luck is in it may still be there!).

First I find like others the grass distracting. Last one just does not work for me as too prominent oof heather sprig in middle.

Great first start on close ups btw - you landscaping skills seem to be helping out.

Love the Fly Agaric No 2 :clap:- Im still trying to find one

Les :bang:

Well I would say you are off to a flying start if you dont normally shoot this type of imagery. You have chosen nice strong simple subjects and used them to full effect with a few tweaks here and there you will soon get to grips with close ups I have no doubt - well done you - keep looking for interesting fungi they make for great images ;)

Thank you all for your comments and tips/tricks for next time. I agree with taking afew things away for a clearer picture but was hoping for an untouched feel but next time i shall do some trimming after i have taken afew natural photos. Im glad that most of the comments are poss not neg. Thanks again. Dan

Back