Beginner Trying the 50mm

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently pitched the yongnuo 50mm prime. I am still a very amateur photographer. I definitely learnt some. It's and where I went wrong after reviewing my pictures. But thought I would share a few of my favourites.

Im uploading from my iPhone so not sure if this will deminish the quality of the photo or not

1. IMG_9402.JPG

2. IMG_9399.JPG

3. IMG_9398.JPG

4. IMG_9405.JPG

5. IMG_9403.JPG

Nothing wrong with being very amateur - I have been a photographer for 45-odd years and I am very much an amateur. It means that you do things for the love of doing so.

#1 I would have backed off a bit and included all the child's face.

#2 both hands would be have a been a much better.

#3 I think is fine as is #4.

#5 again, I would have backed of a bit.

Thanks for the CC, and totally agree with all you've said. However with the ones that are close to the subject I did do the same photos backed off abit. I just preferred the closer ones my self. #5 it seemed abit more intimate, And number #1 he was trying to be creepy lol so I thought the closer picture brought that out abit more.

The focus is off in all the images- did you shoot wide open???

Les

Yes I did pretty much didn't go above 2.8. It's something I noticed after wasn't sure if it was the focus or because I was using it so wide.

Yes I did pretty much didn't go above 2.8. It's something I noticed after wasn't sure if it was the focus or because I was using it so wide.

I thought so- f2.8 is not a problem, it does however: giver a very shallow depth of Field, if you get the focus right- this won't be an issue - I try to focus on the eye closest to the camera

Les

nothing wrong with a 50...i used a 55 nikkor macro for a lot of in your face shots
its in the design of the optics at the end of the day...the better the better
focal lengths are variations on a theme...
wide angle for wide angles
long lenses to get you closer
all have their merits
a tip for using a 50 lens...use it at full aperture..if you are doing faces...gives sharper photos due to higher speed hand held and gently removes the shortcomings of distortion by lack of aperture effects
cheers
geof

nothing wrong with a 50...i used a 55 nikkor macro for a lot of in your face shots
its in the design of the optics at the end of the day...the better the better
focal lengths are variations on a theme...
wide angle for wide angles
long lenses to get you closer
all have their merits
a tip for using a 50 lens...use it at full aperture..if you are doing faces...gives sharper photos due to higher speed hand held and gently removes the shortcomings of distortion by lack of aperture effects
cheers
geof

What? Really?

I think you need to practice some different focal lengths and shooting distances. Focal length makes a massive difference to the images we create, when we choose a focal length and shooting distance, we are choosing a subjects relationship with the surroundings.

Suggesting that a lens is just a 'variation on a theme' misses the point of the single most important tool photographers have in their arsenal.

What? Really?

I think you need to practice some different focal lengths and shooting distances. Focal length makes a massive difference to the images we create, when we choose a focal length and shooting distance, we are choosing a subjects relationship with the surroundings.

Suggesting that a lens is just a 'variation on a theme' misses the point of the single most important tool photographers have in their arsenal.

Phil you have been asleep old chap...:D

i can agree with you on your comments...but i think the OP was tying us down to the 50mm lens and baby faces

what i used mostly was the nikkor 105 with hood...and as you say...got some distance from the subject to frame properly..surroundings werent a consideration
i won a competition with an in your face 55 nikkor macro wide open...its flat field..as you know...and the surroundings were darkness...

as for the lens being the single most important tool photographers have in their arsenal...you are right!!

glad of your reply...
cheers
geof

Phil you have been asleep old chap...:D

i can agree with you on your comments...but i think the OP was tying us down to the 50mm lens and baby faces

what i used mostly was the nikkor 105 with hood...and as you say...got some distance from the subject to frame properly..surroundings werent a consideration
i won a competition with an in your face 55 nikkor macro wide open...its flat field..as you know...and the surroundings were darkness...

as for the lens being the single most important tool photographers have in their arsenal...you are right!!

glad of your reply...
cheers
geof
I resurrected the thread from a circuitous route I'll not bore you with the details of.

But I never said the lens was the single most important tool photographers have in their arsenal, I was talking about the manipulation of the relationship between sipubject and surroundings.

I resurrected the thread from a circuitous route I'll not bore you with the details of.

But I never said the lens was the single most important tool photographers have in their arsenal, I was talking about the manipulation of the relationship between sipubject and surroundings.

sorry Phil i picked you up there incorrectly...and also agree with that too where subject and surroundings interact...and convey information beneficial to the subject

cheers
geof

Back