Trying this hired lens out

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hired the 300mm AF-S non-vr f4 for a few days. Also hired a 1.7 TC with it.

I hired it to see what it was like compared to my Tamron 150-600mm. I have a D600 by the way.

Went out yesterday and got some okay pics with it. These 3 are without the TC attached.

To be honest, the pics I got with the TC made me wish I didn't bother hiring it, as the image quality was crap. I was getting 510mm with it and a minimum aperture of 6.7.

My Tamron uses 6.3 and the image quality seems miles better.

Got it for another couple of days so will try my best to get out with it and see how it is in different sorts of light.

Collared Dove by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

House Sparrow Female by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

Blue Tit by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

Very nice. How do you find the 150-600 on the D600? I'm thinking up from moving from my Pentax K5 and 150-500 sigma to this set up.

Hi Wez, the Nikon 300mm f4 plus the x 1.4TC is good - I have used it a lot with good results

Very nice. How do you find the 150-600 on the D600? I'm thinking up from moving from my Pentax K5 and 150-500 sigma to this set up.

I find it works great in good light. Even in low-light it still produces perfectly good images up to about 2000 iso.

I went to a D600 a couple of weeks back, from a D7100 because I was shooting in low-light too much and didn't like the IQ when at an ISO of over 800, and don't find the lack of reach that bothersome.

The smaller AF area is a bit of a pain to get used to though IMO, still not sure about that part!

Hi Wez, the Nikon 300mm f4 plus the x 1.4TC is good - I have used it a lot with good results

I really wished I'd hired that 1.4 now - only went for the 1.7 because it was the same price!

Don't think I'll get a chance to try it again though. I'm personally thinking that my 150-600mm is more than enough for what I do. I think I maybe expected a little more from the 300mm f4. I personally feel that the AF seems quicker on the Tammy.

Still have a couple of days left with it though. :)

This was taken with the 300mm + TC x 1.4
I never really see a loss of IQ over just using the 300mm f4 without the TC

at f5.6

a small bird

1.4.jpg

Last edited:
Just to amplify what the OP has already said, in this review of Nikon TCs the author is unenthusiastic about this lens combo (whereas the 1.4 gets the thumbs up as per BIllN_33's posts. I use it too.)

And using a different lens, which he doess recommend for it, he comes up with the folllowing:

Nikon TC-14E II – 5% Sharpness Loss

Nikon TC-17E II – 17% Sharpness Loss

Nikon TC-20E III – 26% Sharpness Loss

Last edited:
Back