Trying to bring out the warm light?

Name
Si
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all, hope your weekend is going well.

So I really feel like there is a half-decent shot here and I wonder how I find it! It could be composition and the actual shooting, or it could be the post processing. The light was pretty special and warm, but only on the shoulder that runs horizontally through the centre of the image. I've tried to bring this out in LR by desaturating the rest and warming up the centre, but I don't think I've nailed it, by a long way.

Do you think I'm barking up the wrong tree here, or is it about improving my processing skills. Or was the shot never there in the first place! Maybe a tighter crop? I dunno...

No offence taken - just loving learning and developing (no pun intended!). All comments and edits welcome!

Cheers

Si

E-M5MarkIII
Leica 15mm f1.8
ƒ/5.6
15.0 mm
1/500
ISO200

Edited in LR.

full

Hi,

Just for starters, judging by the lack of shadows it *looks like* it was taken in the middle of the day.

Try an experiment; compare your sitting room (or any room ) lit only from above with a bulb hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the room to the same room lit from the side with a spotlight or something like that.

The side-lit room will look much more interesting and attractive, full of shadows and textures.

Sometimes it looks better in real life :)
There doesn't seem to be a main subject for this pic - nothing that really grabs me and pulls me in to the image.

20200501-EM530139-2.jpg

Also processed in LR - any better?

David

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I’d definitely be curious to know what you did to the processing to get to that result?

Its a small file as I uploaded it to the gallery here and there was a 1MB limit.

I think the comments above re there being nothing to draw the viewer in are really relevant. I mean, it’s a nice scene but that’s about it. Thing is, I know this stuff - it’s so obvious when someone reminds you!!

I think the comments above re there being nothing to draw the viewer in are really relevant. I mean, it’s a nice scene but that’s about it. Thing is, I know this stuff - it’s so obvious when someone reminds you!!

:) I do that all the time.
40+ years and still rubbish.

So I really feel like there is a half-decent shot here and I wonder how I find it! It could be composition and the actual shooting, or it could be the post processing. The light was pretty special and warm, but only on the shoulder that runs horizontally through the centre of the image. I've tried to bring this out in LR by desaturating the rest and warming up the centre, but I don't think I've nailed it, by a long way.

It's a half-decent shot, but only half. As Jerry said, better lightling would have lifted this considerably, as would finding a focal point in the landscape to give the eye somewhere to rest as Ken suggested. It's natural to take pictures of scenes like this, but they tend to be just so-so images and nothing more: I have quite a few like that too. :p

Personally I quite like it as an image and the re-processed versions look better to me. You said in your original post that it was the brightly lit central part of the image that attracted you in the first place and for me that is a valid reason to take the photograph. It draws me in anyway!. Perhaps accentuate this in your processing? I don't particularly like the stone wall foreground.

I’d definitely be curious to know what you did to the processing to get to that result?

Its a small file as I uploaded it to the gallery here and there was a 1MB limit.

Hi Si,

I just used one of my Lightroom presets then fine tuned. After that I ran it through Topaz AI Sharpener on stabilise mode.

Dougie.

Back