Beginner Trying to focus on too many things.

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
image.jpeg Hi Guys,
Following an operation I've been housebound so thought I'd try and be creative however I can't seem to get the shot I'd like when it comes to focus, I'm sure there's room for improvement in other areas and I would only be too pleased for the advice.

My situation here was trying to focus on the writing and the faces of the figures capturing sharp detail.

Difficult at such close range. A narrower aperture will obviously help but focus stacking is probably your best shout here to get front to back sharpness.

I've recently been reading about focus stacking and am yet to try this so maybe a good opportunity, you mention close range would I make any advantage in using a longer lens and zooming in or is that a dumb question as it makes no difference?

What lens, focal length and aperture were you shooting?

image.jpeg Hey,

Lens 12-35
just found this handy app for the iPad that gives you this metadata?

Isospeed 6400
Max aperture value 3

Now would be a great time to confess I'm well and truly unsure what this means.....

OK, definitely read those tutorials Ned posted. They will help you understand why your settings and the results are what they are.

If you were to reshoot that scene at an aperture of F11 that would probably yield much better results. However this would result is a large drop in your shutter speed, meaning you may well need a tripod or something to rest the camera on.

Thank you Ned for those tutorials they seem to explain things in a simple enough way that I just about understand, I do own a tripod also so I will be back to playing around asap and see what I've learned.

This all starts to make sense why I struggled to get a good picture of the moon because my aperture was way to low and shutter speed too fast.

Thank you Ned for those tutorials they seem to explain things in a simple enough way that I just about understand, I do own a tripod also so I will be back to playing around asap and see what I've learned.

This all starts to make sense why I struggled to get a good picture of the moon because my aperture was way to low and shutter speed too fast.
The moon is a con trick. Use the same exposure values you would for a daylight scene. Because what you're looking at is daylight reflected off a large object.

And there's me thinking I'm getting closer to the knowledge, lol.
Cheers Phil I appreciate your time and that goes for everyone that's here supporting.

And there's me thinking I'm getting closer to the knowledge, lol.
Cheers Phil I appreciate your time and that goes for everyone that's here supporting.
Keep going, the quest for knowledge is what drives improvement.

I will say though, when you've got that first shot in focus, you'll want yo learn to light it better ;)

Keep going, the quest for knowledge is what drives improvement.

I will say though, when you've got that first shot in focus, you'll want yo learn to light it better ;)

Indeed, to start with you will think it's about kit and settings and then when you've got that sussed you'll realise it's all about light. No amount of settings will substitute good light (or lighting).

I recently went to the nec for the photography show and it seemed like lighting dominated most of the space there was a guy with an ice light who seemed to talk for ages about its benefits and I remember thinking isn't light just light, boy do I have a lot to learn.

Some years ago i was told I had the look for modelling and being young and carefree I started to build a portfolio on pure storm and did some tfp arrangements, the modelling never took off but I remember being really surprised how a few shadows and flashes created a picture that was almost alive.

Light is just light, there are a lot of snake oil sellers in the photography market (with people suggesting a light source has mystical properties).

That said - as you've already realised the use of light is very important.
There's an interesting (but very technical) recent thread in the lighting section that's worth a read (don't expect to get it all first read - or 2nd)

Back