Beginner Trying to get better sharpness/detail - what can I do to improve?

If you want sharper shots in less than perfect conditions I'd use some bounced flash and get your separation that way instead of with shallow dof.

If you want sharper shots in less than perfect conditions I'd use some bounced flash and get your separation that way instead of with shallow dof.

Thanks, but, excluding the kid pictures, i can't use flash - people on stage or training for Jitsu.

I will start experimenting with flash though - never really used them properly before. I have a SB700 so I'm set do do so.

Sorry - f5.6, ISO 1000, 1/250 (can't remember why I had such a high shutter speed), on an 18-200 nikkor
I have found that high MP crop cameras are merciless in showing up poor technique. Using low shutter sppeds is one area I had not appreciated affected quality when lolking really closely at images. If I look at at an image and think "wow thats rather sharp" I willoften find it's been shot at 1/1000 or higher. Using lower speeds is sometimes OK but for consistent sharpness high shutter speeds or a tripod if possible is the way to go.
HTH
David

I have found that high MP crop cameras are merciless in showing up poor technique. Using low shutter sppeds is one area I had not appreciated affected quality when lolking really closely at images. If I look at at an image and think "wow thats rather sharp" I willoften find it's been shot at 1/1000 or higher. Using lower speeds is sometimes OK but for consistent sharpness high shutter speeds or a tripod if possible is the way to go.
HTH
David

Even with VR?

Even with VR?

VR is fantastic technology (look at post #32 in this thread http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/canon-70-200-4-0l.310952/#post-3584320 ) BUT I have found it cannot always be relied on. If I think it's going to be a problem I will often shoot a burst and will find (depending on the shutter speed) that maybe 2/5 shots will be very sharp 2/5 just about sharp and 1/5 fuzzy as you would expect. I think allowing the VR to get up to speed first is always a good idea.

Not so sure about leaving it on when using high shutter speeds, have heard it helps the AF when using long lenses as the image is not jumping around so much.

HTH

David

I think allowing the VR to get up to speed first is always a good idea.

Not so sure about leaving it on when using high shutter speeds, have heard it helps the AF when using long lenses as the image is not jumping around so much.

I didn't know that it helps with AF, that's interesting!
Also didn't know that VR needs to get up to speed.

God, the more I learn, the more I don't know!

If you want sharp pictures, then the first rule is do not crop. That's just throwing away a ton of image quality. Fill the frame with the subject by using a longer lens or by moving closer. Do not under-exposure and try to rescue in post, that just creates excessive noise. Use the Lightroom controls optimally - sharpening, Clarity slider, CA removal and the De-fringe tools.

Be realistic about sharpness expectations. Nothing ever looks good when viewed at 100%, and when you scale up the whole image what you're probably looking at is the equivalent of an image a couple of metres wide. Set your sharpness standards according to normal output size and viewing distance.

Focus carefully. Ensure shutter speed is fast enough to a) avoid camera-shake (IS helps a lot, and is fully active in about one second), and b) eliminate subject movement blur (IS cannot help with this).

Do all those things, and you're unlikely to be disappointed. To add the final polish, shoot at optimum aperture (probably around f/5.6-8) and position the main subject near the centre of the frame. Invest in quality lenses. Use low ISO.

Back