Trying to improve my portrait processing.

Do you have PS CS5 or did I misunderstand your earlier comment. If you have do you know anything about it yet? CS5 will already contain brushes - blur/smudge/sharpen are tools rather than brushes, the brush tool is the 8th one down in the toolbox that my post above shows. Yes, there are some brushes you can download from Adobe I think

Danny you could always try looking for retouching tools that work as a plugin with Photoshop. I'm sure there'll be plenty out there.

Danny when you say my method doesn't work for you do you mean you can't get it to work or that you just don't like the effect?
The blur tool is here but I wouldn't use it personally for this.
5327906767_e07cf21b36_z.jpg

I think it's because Danny is just starting out with this Wayne and that's really a quite advanced technique he's trying there - Rome in a day and all that.

I'm sure the Photoshop blur and blend type tools aren't really suitable having tried them in the past.

ive found all the brushes and tools now .. i have to right click to get them up .. but still cant do it lol

i have learnt to sharpen so i guess thats a start!

Danny, if I were you I would start with some tutorials. In CS5 go to
Help
Photoshop Support Centre
This takes you online and then go to the Getting Started, Tutorials.

You need to be able to find your way around the basics of Photoshop (layers, masks, selections etc) before you can get to grips with the more intricate workings of it

Love that tutorial of yours Tom! :) Using it quite alot these days! :D Thanks!

Dave, i think i prefer the 1st edit that done.....

Danny, if I were you I would start with some tutorials. In CS5 go to
Help
Photoshop Support Centre
This takes you online and then go to the Getting Started, Tutorials.

You need to be able to find your way around the basics of Photoshop (layers, masks, selections etc) before you can get to grips with the more intricate workings of it

Why not look at the tutorial I posted on skin treatment.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=142782

I use a different method now but this got me into editing so if you understand this you should pick up info to get you into editing like the pro's.

thank you so much people :)

Ok i also never had a real go at this so here'a my go, we all have about the same idea, it just shows how much variation each person can make to the same image, and still come up a great shot, but having such a good model in the first place helps leaps and bounds.

work.6558555.1.flat,550x550,075,f.untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my attempt, not perfect by any means.
removed as it was poo

Last edited:
Sorry but I have to say that there are some very poor attempts at processing on show.... Skin should not be destroyed Bass Junkies last effort is close but still to me looks very dark and unappealing.

:bonk: OK fixed the link, does Photobucket do something to photos?
IMG_1188.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, why do you think I disagree?

Because of the post that followed mine :)

It's a nice image to start with and the second is probably the best of the edits - maybe CT's original edit but the rest imo go too far. Storm Crows looks nice right enough

Sorry but I have to say that there are some very poor attempts at processing on show.... Skin should not be destroyed Bass Junkies last effort is close but still to me looks very dark and unappealing.

Time to show us what you can do then, remember most of these are done quickly just to show the op what can be done and to point him in the right direction.

I did try an edit and it was somewhere between the original and the OP's first effort which I thought was ok (his effort I mean). Yours isn't too bad but on my calibrated monitor at home the skin looked way too light .....?

I'll have a look later - I'm no expert on lighting though....Really just an honest opinion.

Sorry if I stood on a coupleof toes with my comments but I do stand by them.

Christine
The more I look at your edit the better I think it is - though I still prefer CTs version. Wayne - you are a much respected member of the forum and we've spoken in the past a few years ago and I don't want to cause offence but I really don't like the edit you did. It just ruins a potentially nice image. though there are others that are worse!

You are asking me to process it and to be honest it's not my cup of tea. I don't think I need to edit it to show I can't do it either! It's like commenting on a landscape - you might say you dont like it but you don't go out to shoot the landscape to show why....

Honestly no offence was meant I just felt that the images were not helping. Sorry againif offence was caused.

Sorry if I stood on a coupleof toes with my comments but I do stand by them.

Christine
The more I look at your edit the better I think it is - though I still prefer CTs version. Wayne - you are a much respected member of the forum and we've spoken in the past a few years ago and I don't want to cause offence but I really don't like the edit you did. It just ruins a potentially nice image. though there are others that are worse!

You are asking me to process it and to be honest it's not my cup of tea. I don't think I need to edit it to show I can't do it either! It's like commenting on a landscape - you might say you dont like it but you don't go out to shoot the landscape to show why....

Honestly no offence was meant I just felt that the images were not helping. Sorry againif offence was caused.

No offence taken.

To be fair to everyone here Jim, whenever these types of posts crop up with advice sought on an image edit, it's inevitable that people with different levels of ability and experience are going to have a go at it -some will be doing it for invaluable practice, and some will just have different ideas on the approach. As long as the OP is cool with it, and everyone concerned takes something away from it, then it has to be good thing surely?

To be fair to everyone here Jim, whenever these types of posts crop up with advice sought on an image edit, it's inevitable that people with different levels of ability and experience are going to have a go at it -some will be doing it for invaluable practice, and some will just have different ideas on the approach. As long as the OP is cool with it, and everyone concerned takes something away from it, then it has to be good thing surely?

Absolutely CT.

I did not take offence either, just thought that some clarifacation on a sweeping statement would be beneficial to everyone that had taken the time to to do an edit :D

When we get such a good starting image as that by Bass Junkie it is so tempting to have a practice with it whatever our level of experience and expertise and we all learn I think from each other's versions, my main retouch was her fringe to fill in the gap but it is the skin that is most seen :)

We have photo competitions in the other sections of the forum - maybe we should have a mini-retouching competition as well ?

I've never really had a go at doing a portrait before so here is my attempt

Probably my favourite version so far, as "artistic" enhancements go.

Here's what Portrait Professional made of the original image using default settings.

20110123_132134_.JPG

Back