Trying to shoot an interesting poppy image

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I know poppies are very popular but every day I drive by this field with poppies growing in it and I am determined to capture it.

I am trying to get an interesting take on a very popular subject and this is my first attempt. The idea was to try to create interest by having a strong diagonal of colour in the foreground.

Is it interesting? Does it work?

Thanks in advance for your C&C and for tips to improve

3590232554_3634a59eea_o.jpg

I love everything but the hedge, I'd prefer to see more of the field or a nicely placed tree! :LOL:

Aside from that, I think the image could do with a little saturation to make the blues, greens and reds "pop"

Great angle which creates an attractive perspective!

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to go back and see if I can get a better angle to improve the composition but maintain the idea of a "diagonal of colour".

In the meantime, I've boosted the saturation a little. any better?

3590296302_42f65ed799_o.jpg

This is a really nice image. You've done a good job in making the most of the location.

I think the only reason it doesn't feel absolutely right though is because it's out of balance. The hedge in the top right is very visually heavy with little to counter balance it on the left. The big red poppies (bottom left) help to balance things out a little but it's still very right-heavy.

The lack of balance makes the overall composition just a little uncomfortable.

Still, nice shot though! I like the massive difference in the scale of the poppies in the foreground and background.

I like the zig zag effect from the line of large poppies left to right, across the tops of the distant poppies r to l, across the top of the hedge l to r, and even the cloud has a zig zag in it!

I like it. The line of poppys takes you nicely to the hedge and the hedge leads you on to the sky (y)

Only negative is maybe a bit much sky :shrug: but that's just my take on it (y)

Back