Trying to think more about composition

So in both images, for me, the subject is the lighthouse.

And if that's the case, it's lost in the frame. I quite liked the people in this image, and when I clicked through to Flickr I saw the birds. And I think that makes a good composition that is balanced, and still has the subject in an important part of the frame. Green thing bottom left needs not to be there though.

nmtymetmm.JPG

As for the 1st image, I see so many landscapers that throw rocks at the foreground that it just turns me off. I don't think it's interesting or inventive, however there are a ton of YouTube channels out there telling you that's what you need. And I'm no more right than the next person because it's all subjective. It's like making a cake. If you follow the recipe you get the same as everyone else following that recipe (see the quote in my sig). But that's not your vision.

My advice would be to do exactly what you're doing. Take some time to ask yourself why you're taking a picture of your subject. Once you know why, that might help with the composition. Perhaps it's the imposing nature of the lighthouse. In which case, it needs to be imposing in the frame and not lost in rocks or green things. If your subject is rocks or green things, then make them your subject and don't distract with a lighthouse...

Don't get me wrong. I've seen a billion photos of "that" lighthouse at the end of "that" path in Wales that all look lovely. And you may want that exact photo so that you can say "I was there. I took that". But I'm guessing your OP isn't about that, it's about finding your own vision. And for me, that begins with asking myself why am I taking the pic, and what is it about the scene that interests me? Once I know that, I can work with the rest.

The wildlife stuff on your Flickr btw has that I think. Maybe take the telephoto out with you to do landscape? Rockwell said that anything wider than 50mm means the photographer doesn't know what their subject is. Controversial, but it still made me smile. Longer focal lengths can give you more compositional options.

There's nothing wrong with either, although the second doesn't look level, it's more a matter of taste

Personally, I'd like a little less LHS on the first as my version of 'balance' - as Ian says - but the bottom is fine. The rocks/green of both images gives obvious context to the lighthouse

So there you have it, two different opinions already lol :)

Dave

Number 1 for me, is far too busy in the foreground and you do lose track of the subject (lighthouse).
The second i really like. The breaker rocks (?) lead you in to the subject and give the photo some punch. I would maybe try to emphasise the lighthouse by whitening it or bringing up the exposure of the lighthouse only.
Ive been to New Brighton and wish i'd have seen that angle.

So in both images, for me, the subject is the lighthouse.

And if that's the case, it's lost in the frame. I quite liked the people in this image, and when I clicked through to Flickr I saw the birds. And I think that makes a good composition that is balanced, and still has the subject in an important part of the frame. Green thing bottom left needs not to be there though.

View attachment 303629

As for the 1st image, I see so many landscapers that throw rocks at the foreground that it just turns me off. I don't think it's interesting or inventive, however there are a ton of YouTube channels out there telling you that's what you need. And I'm no more right than the next person because it's all subjective. It's like making a cake. If you follow the recipe you get the same as everyone else following that recipe (see the quote in my sig). But that's not your vision.

My advice would be to do exactly what you're doing. Take some time to ask yourself why you're taking a picture of your subject. Once you know why, that might help with the composition. Perhaps it's the imposing nature of the lighthouse. In which case, it needs to be imposing in the frame and not lost in rocks or green things. If your subject is rocks or green things, then make them your subject and don't distract with a lighthouse...

Don't get me wrong. I've seen a billion photos of "that" lighthouse at the end of "that" path in Wales that all look lovely. And you may want that exact photo so that you can say "I was there. I took that". But I'm guessing your OP isn't about that, it's about finding your own vision. And for me, that begins with asking myself why am I taking the pic, and what is it about the scene that interests me? Once I know that, I can work with the rest.

The wildlife stuff on your Flickr btw has that I think. Maybe take the telephoto out with you to do landscape? Rockwell said that anything wider than 50mm means the photographer doesn't know what their subject is. Controversial, but it still made me smile. Longer focal lengths can give you more compositional options.
I really appreciate the time taken to give this feedback. I completely get the telephoto comment so I'll give that a try.
It's funny because all of my non-photographer friends absolutely love the lighthouse shot with the rocks leading up to it, it's all subjective I guess and we're a very self-critical bunch :ROFLMAO:

Did you take a look at Michael Freeman’s book on composition, the Photographer’s Eye?

I like the second but compositionally I would want the lighthouse centred in the v shape. It is amazing what tiny details catch the eye and often you only spot them when you get home. The rocks are a bit overpowering in the first but there is a sort of path coming from the bottom left. If that continued further into the frame it may have worked really well. As it is it stops and the eye settles on the rocks which stops the journey to the subject. Slowing down is a great idea but make sure you work the scene and use those shots for inspiration for a second visit where you can maybe also think about where the light and tide etc will fall.

I started Michael Freeman's book last night, only around 50 pages in but find it very interesting.
I also started to look back through some of my other pictures of this lighthouse and one I found which I think is very interesting, the lighthouse is very dominant in the frame as the subject, but the photographer trying to get his shot gives it a sense of scale.
2020-03-02 14.09.47.jpg

Its not just about the composition but the use of colour, I've shot a lot at New Brighton in the past and not noticed that shot between the sea defences (interesting view, but I'd want to hide the mast behind the lighthouse! which would in turn place the lighthouse more centrally within the sea defences), but for me the bright green on the sea defences and the busy sky, draws my eye away from the lighthouse.

Its a very photographed location, so research on flickr and google might help refine your compositional ideas. I quite like it at high tide, as you get a wave of water across the sea defences

170401 Perch Rock Lighthouse 1
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

and a very alternate one, this is looking back to shore on a very foggy day!

170107 Into The Mist 1
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

I like a couple of the reflection ones on your flickr album, especially the one with the photographer.

I had to go away and think about your images, because my opinion was not straightforward. Normally I can see in a fraction of a second whether or not I like an image.

I'm only critiquing the composition, and I'd put these into a category of 'extra shots' What do I mean by that? As a professional I often get commissions to shoot various locations and my brief may include 'a minimum of 20 images' a very quick recce on location and 10 angles jump out as the key shots, dependant upon who I am shooting for such as a magazine, brochure, advert etc. I may have to leave space for text, and I can then go through another 7-8 shots that really don't work unless you think of them in the context of having text, logos, graphics, insets on them.

But then I still need 2 or 3 images to fulfil my brief, and sometimes it's a case of finding something different and just hoping they like them, and that's where I'd place your images compositionally.

Paul

My issue with image 2kmvwNC , is the competition - rather than harmony / balance - between lighthouse and foreground rocks . Not sure what your intended emphasis was - lighthouse or rocks ?
If you do any post processing , I'd tone down the rocks by slightly darkening them , or somehow brighten the lighthouse to "shine" more . And in future such shots , set exposure to emphasise main subject .

Like image 2kmvrHN much better , but a bit too much (10 - 15 % too much) sky - unless you were intentionally trying to show off the cloud pattern .
That said , like how lighthouse is framed between the mossy structures in foreground .
Again, if you do any post-process, I'd lighten the lighthouse and dim the mossy structures .

db3348

Back