TSA padlocks for travel

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
OK what is a TSA padlock if you don't know.

It is a specially designed number combination padlock which can be opened via a key by customs officials if you forget the number code

This is what it looks like at least on my camera bag but they are all the same.

dpMfASA.jpg

Mine came without any instructions and a key number with 810 programed in. Damn I thought it don't work.
Tried every number in turned by dialing down from 999 still didn't work. So how the hell do you unlock it???

eventually found out the setting was 000 ,obvious now I found out, so the padlock was open.

So how do I use it and lock the camera case, again more head scratching. no good just putting the case pull tags into the lock as shown

bBt182w.jpg

is not locked let alone with your dedicated number input.

More head scratching, nearly bald by this time. Had another close look and right underneath is a very very small push button

CHwTXkT.jpg

that is it on the right of the wheels the small round thing.

so you push that in- set your number and squeeze the plunger on the side which releases that small button. Your own number is then programed in. then you forget the number you programmed in
icon_confused.gif

of course there is nothing to stop a thief taking the whole bag but it does stop the casual thief from rifling the bag for the contents

This is the case in question

hyubn7E.jpg

Manfrotto MB PL -RL-H55 Of course the layout card that comes with it is useless for my gear so had to reworl the layout as shown above
Biggest problem getting what i wanted in it
managed a Nikon D810
Nikon 50 mm f1.4
Nikon 24-70mm f2.8
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8
Nikon sb900 flashgun
Panasonic camcorder
tabletop tripod
duel battery charger
batteries and othe bits and pieces.

Far too heavy to carry for long hence getting one with wheels (weight 11.3KG)

How i took last photo with a Nikon D300 and a Nikon 12-24 f14dx lens with a manfrotto tripod and a led light
CCX7tn2.jpg

Last edited:
You do know that all 7 TSA master keys are available for less than $5 each, the locks are trivial to pick and essentially only offer a visual semblance of security don't you?

Random article on the subject https://lock-picking.wonderhowto.co...a-approved-luggage-locks-are-useless-0164446/

While this is probably true, these locks do stop the opportunistic thief and you can bet that if you lock your bag with a non TSA lock, it's getting cracked open by the airport security anyway.

The best security is keeping your camera bag close to you at all times and making sure you get it into an overhead bin that you can see!

The easy picking has been a feature since they were introduced, the easy purchase of master keys is a little more recent.

Don't check it in and don't let it out of your sight.

The easy picking has been a feature since they were introduced, the easy purchase of master keys is a little more recent.

Don't check it in and don't let it out of your sight.

I’m sure I’ve seen a programme where they said the locks were basically a deterrent anyway because you can easily bust open most zips with a pen and then zip it back up as normal.

The video I saw said that most of these locks actually only used one or two of the seven keys available and that two keys (they said which ones) would open 99% of the TSA locks. They also pointed out A. the zip issue, and B. the fact it's locked draws a thief to the bag in the first place.

ANY lock is just a deterrent. Even the bloody huge motorbike padlocks and chains will only last a short while before succumbing to the likes of a disc cutter.

yes any padlock can be opened, but also this stops the zip undoing with bad handling

Tried every number in turned by dialing down from 999 still didn't work. So how the hell do you unlock it???

eventually found out the setting was 000
Only a terrible, terrible person would be amused by this. Please don't judge me.

Reactions: Nod
yes any padlock can be opened, but also this stops the zip undoing with bad handling

I use one of THESE to prevent handling issues opening the zip inadvertently. The little "locking" bit is fiddly enough to slow a potential thief down but not so fiddly as to slow me down too much when I want to get in to the bag! For travel, I keep the other end of the carabiner clipped to the loop at the bottom end of the zip's travel but once I'm reasonably sure of security, I undo it and keep the thing free but simply "lock" the two zip sliders together by their pull-tabs.

If you 'anchor' the Zips at either end of their travel, this stops any potential for opening the zip with a pen lid and the thief being able to close the zip afterwards. Just locking the Zips together doesn't prevent this technique of opening and redoing them undetected.

Back