TSOHOST htpassword problems.. anyone help?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
as usualy tsohost are useless in support :(

I used there own password protection option from control panel and it works great unless internet explorer..

anyone had simmilar problem and know a fix?

I can't help your query bud but I am surprised at your comment on their support as its always been brilliant IME

Dave

I find them unhelpuful and for the most part a complete waste of time.....

after another long conversation with them it ends yet again with me looking for solutions and them looking for blame.. and if they can say its not there fault then the customer support ends there.... the fact i set up password protection through there CP seems to amke no difference that it doesnt work on ie :(

Its when i call a picture from a password protected folder into a php page.. all other browsers and phone produce a prompt and when entered the prompt dissapears and the picture shows.. BUT in IE it does the same up to not showing the picture.. but no prompt

If I use IE on a simple dummy folder it works.. but getting a pic from a folder to a page doesnt.. on anyones new or old browsers all ie.. but all other browsers and phoens work..

Sorry I don't follow. Do you mean you have a page generated by PHP which, when in the browser gives a password prompt and when the password is entered it then shows the picture?

If so, potentially (without seeing your code) IE cannot understand the code generating the password prompt and shows nothing... I'd need to see it.

No.. there is NO code.. the folder containign the pictures is protected with htaccess .... when you select the page it waits for a password to show the picture and full page... but on ie it doesnt ask for password.. just stops when trying to load the picture

http://www.kipax.com/gallery/index.php?album=SCHOOLS_BD/5351

the above on phones and other browsers produces the htaccess protection.. on ei .. it doesnt..

exatly and in ie it doesnt give you the prompt but it does stop at the pic loading

so there is no htlml or any other code on the page.. when it tries to access a picture in a protected (htaccess) folder it asks for password.. but not in ie :(

Microsoft gave up on supporting Internet Explorer more than 5 years ago so I don't get why are you worrying about supporting this obsolete web browser.

i am sure you can work it out.....if you try.... bit of a daft reply to be honest if you read the thread properly..

Well, having spent 15 minutes firing up the wife's Windows 10 laptop which then does updates and then takes an age to even load IE (hateful operating system), I get a password prompt when I try for that image.

When I check your web server itself it is giving the correct response so not sure what else I can offer. I wonder if IE has some security settings that prevent unencrypted passwords?

Well, having spent 15 minutes firing up the wife's Windows 10 laptop which then does updates and then takes an age to even load IE (hateful operating system), I get a password prompt when I try for that image.

When I check your web server itself it is giving the correct response so not sure what else I can offer. I wonder if IE has some security settings that prevent unencrypted passwords?

when you say check that image.. are you checkign the actual page or the image itself.... the page above doesnt seem to want to get a rpompt on anyones browsers.. including the different ones at the school all using diff IE ... Juts any version of IE .. but your getting the prompt on IE ?

Edit: Just noticed sirch's response so you can probably ignore everything I say below and check that out instead! But hey...

I'm concentrating on the issue you said i.e. (!) that IE does not show a password prompt but other browsers do. I get a prompt in Safari, but I also get a prompt in whatever version of IE Windows 10 has. So I can't replicate your problem. From what I can see, your website generates a link to a JPEG in your password protected folder, and leaves it up to the browser to action the password function. The web server is Apache so this is most likely the usual .htaccess / . htpasswd thing. When I access your web server directly (i.e. not using a browser at all) I get a '401' return code which means the page needs authentication - it is this which should then cause the browser to throw up a password prompt.

So your website and the web server it runs on are both running properly, albeit (NB) this is all unencrypted so the password is passed in plain text. So the 'fault' lies with whatever IE version(s) you are using on whatever system(s). I added the URL of a large image earlier which should, when accessed in a browser throw up the password box.

Obviously without the userid and password I can't get any further but I shouldn't need to as the issue you have is you do not even get the password box in IE. I mean, I don't need to see the image to see the issue.

You mention now a school, potentially there is a firewall in play or their IE versions are locked down to not permit unencrypted passwords - I dunno. Maybe if someone else on the list that does have IE (I feel for you...) can try that URL and report back if it throws up a password prompt? This one: http://www.kipax.com/gallery/albums/SCHOOLS_BD/5351/005_1622_2271_r_y2.jpg

Last edited:
You mention now a school, potentially there is a firewall in play or their IE versions are locked down to not permit unencrypted passwords - I dunno. Maybe if someone else on the list that does have IE (I feel for you...) can try that URL and report back if it throws up a password prompt? This one: http://www.kipax.com/gallery/albums/SCHOOLS_BD/5351/005_1622_2271_r_y2.jpg

cheers but ;)

its not the firewall as its the same on the prents who have contacted the school that they cant access from there homes

and yes direlty above i get the prompt.... i did say earlier i had made a dummy folder and going direct IE works.. IE works for me going direct to the picture..

but not when the page tries to access the picture.. yes in other browsers not in ie

so direct access works and gets the prompt.. access from the php doesnt on ie :(

Ok, so now I fired one of the desktops up yes I see the same as you with IE, when you go to the gallery page a box with all sorts of stuff in appears in the middle and the password protected image should appear at the top and does not. There is no password prompt in IE (or Edge or whatever they renamed it). But no matter how much I pour over the code I cannot see why!

If it were me my next step would be to remove the password protection and see if the image then appears in the right place. But with a live website that's clearly a big risk. However, it would prove that the code generated by the website works, or not. My reasoning here is that if one puts the actual URL of the image into the browser it gives a password box, but when on the page itself it does not, and those two should be identical. Straw clutching...

Ok, so now I fired one of the desktops up yes I see the same as you with IE, when you go to the gallery page a box with all sorts of stuff in appears in the middle and the password protected image should appear at the top and does not. There is no password prompt in IE (or Edge or whatever they renamed it). But no matter how much I pour over the code I cannot see why!

theres nothing in the code that would effect it AFAIK

Without the password protected picture folders it works perfect on all broswers.. its just the one school asked for password.. all the other galleries onsite work on all browsers.... All i ahve done is place htaccess into the folder it grabs the pics from.. nothing else..so we know the code works.. we know the password works oon all other browsers and we know it works on ie if directly going into the folder..

its when we try to load a picture into the page froma protected folder... ...aaaaargh :(

:)

I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with it but when I access the page (In Opera) and right click "Page Source" the source code comes up but if I click on a pic and then right click nothing comes up so something is preventing the source code from being shown when the password prompt comes up.

The same thing happens in Google Chrome.

Maybe in IE whatever protection you have built in to stop the code being shown is overriding the password prompt.

Has your host recently updated to a new version of Apache, which may have modified the way .htaccess works?

Apparently WordPress does this from time to time:

https://perishablepress.com/stop-wordpress-htaccess/

Last edited:
Maybe in IE whatever protection you have built in to stop the code being shown is overriding the password prompt.

Is there such a thing as stopping the source code being shown? I certainly havent implimented anyhtign and never would.. goes against the whole concept of the WWW in my opinion...

Is there such a thing as stopping the source code being shown? I certainly havent implimented anyhtign and never would.. goes against the whole concept of the WWW in my opinion...

Yes there is such a thing - it's usually used to stop people stealing pics etc off the site - never really worked because you can just use a screen grab.

But it does exist - I think it can be a JavaScript implementation or can also be used in CSS (I think)

Another thought - could something like an Adblocker be stopping the password dialogue from loading?

This could happen if it loads from another (third party) site?

Another thought - could something like an Adblocker be stopping the password dialogue from loading?

This could happen if it loads from another (third party) site?

just a folder away.. all same site ... i thougth adbloker as first .. :(

I get this on IE11 and more or less the same on Edge in W10

mdfRTiw.jpg

I get this on IE11 and more or less the same on Edge in W10

Thanks.. are so many people using older browsers.. I know the school uses edge.... I know the school also tried on firefox and it worked...

I can't get my head round it and hate the thought that some parents cant see the pics and ulitmatly can't buy.. sales are going well but presumably could be better :)

Back