TTArtisan Light Meter

I think at that price it will be hard to beat. It's a very analogue way of doing things, which I think people might like. But it depends how fiddly those dials are to use in practice.

I would be up for it at that price. Got an Agfa Medium format with no metering and a couple of SLR's where the meters no longer work.

I'll wait for reviews but they seem to get good reviews overall for their lenses so I'm hopeful.

I bought a Chinese external meter with a blue LED readout. It meters quite well but it is nearly impossible to read outside in sunlight. I paid roughly the same as this costs. I'd buy again as long as I could know it was readable in daylight.

I bought a Chinese external meter with a blue LED readout. It meters quite well but it is nearly impossible to read outside in sunlight. I paid roughly the same as this costs. I'd buy again as long as I could know it was readable in daylight.
There's no screen on the TTArtisan meter, it's a simple Over/Under LED indicator like the Voigtlander VC.

Seems like a bargain? Well, until you look at a phone app such as this one, which is just $1.99 (less than £2) for the advert-free and fully functional version with exposure compensation and 'zoom in' spot meter type functionality. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dq.fotometroNa&hl=en_US&gl=US (other light meter apps are available).

I own two Gossen Lunasix 3 light meters (I always like a spare), and have a 'mercury replacement battery adaptor' for them too, so I can run them off the more environmentally friendly (and still available!) silver oxide batteries.

Despite that, you can trust me when I say that the phone app on my fairly old tech (by modern standards) Samsung Galaxy 7 smart phone is the one I use most. The reason? I take my phone with me wherever I go, so anything else is just additional bulk for me to carry.

That's right, despite having a good-quality light meter (that's even capable of measuring and calculating the correct exposure in moonlight, hence the 'Luna' part of its name), 9.9 times out of 10 it doesn't even get a look-in, as my phone app does the job just fine in most daylight situations when using my old, fully manual, film cameras - and daylight is when I normally use my old film cameras.

So do think long and hard before parting with $56 for a hotshoe light meter (that uses some of the earth's resources to manufacture and transport to you, and will require safe disposal when it eventually breaks, or you get bored with it, etc.), as a $1.99 phone app might serve you just as well, be with you all the time, deplete comparatively less of the world's resources, and still allow you to close your camera case! Hope this is useful. (y)

Last edited:
Oddly I do have a light meter that you can use on your hot shoe should your cameras inbuilt meter fail. But I have since been fortunate enough to have light meters that actually worked. Bugger!

Back