Critique Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
A few Tufted Duck images that I would be grateful to receive your coments on.

Ducks are big, keep still so they are relatively easy to photography I was also in a wooden hide at a Nature Reserve. I used my 300 f2.8 and x 2 TC. The shots are almost full frame as I was near and could not leave any space around the duck.

All but one has very slight sharpening and a minor amount of other PP.

I have reduced the file sizes for web posting

I’d be interested to know what you feel about the two backgrounds and also the positioning of the ducks and if you feel any other aspects could be improved.

TD_1.jpg

TD_5.jpg

TD_3.jpg

TD_4.jpg

TD_6.jpg

Last edited:
No images showing. Specsavers????

No images showing. Specsavers????

Just been - plus it's coffee time and the forum doesn't like my shortcuts

I prefer the background with the twigs

I can get rid of that "smudgy" bit on the left edge of the last image

Last edited:
I like 1 & 2. Prefer the shot 'as is' compared to seeing the full reflection which can be over-rated. Personally, 3 & 4 would be in my bin due to the stick through the head. 5 is unusual but I don't think the head is sharp enough so it would follow 3 & 4 I'm afraid Bill. Personal preference and all that. No1 for me anyway (traditionalist that I am!) and I do like the frame. ;)

I like #1 a lot. Sharp and simple.

Good expressions on the face in 3, but the stick in the head doesn't work. Same with 4.

Motion blur in #2 and #5 is a problem IMO. #2 is also oversharpened or some other jpeg artefacts going on. Look at boundary between duck (dark areas) and background. A white line has appeared.

Number 1 is the best, number 2 is soft on the eye. 3 and 4 do nothing for me and number 5s bill is well out of focus.

Thanks - points for me to considered

I over sharpened 2, as I indicated, and there is also movement but I thought the movement and water droplets added interest to the image - I obviously needed a higher shutter speed

3 and 4 I wanted to find out opinions on no background or a some background - I can clone out the branch thru the head

5 - there is movement - that's why the bill is not sharp, (needed a higher shutter speed), but it's a little comical

I am unsure about the borders and "signature" - it is obviously a personal preference liked by some and not by others

I still learning - only really started taking a detailed interest in my images a few months ago - before that they were just "record" shots - bird watchers seems to prefer different shots to those that are preferred by bird photographers

Last edited:
Mine are 1,2 and 5 the others have twigs growing out of its head. with 1 and 2 it might have been nice to see a full reflection but other than that not bad at all

Back