TV or Monitor

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
The cost of putting a photo album together after a holiday is becoming increasingly expensive AND we're running out of room. Are any of the NEW tvs any good for viewing photographs as well as being able to watch Jeremy Kyle? What are the pros and cons? I'd love a large touch screen monitor such as the one at our local school. Photos look amazing on it, but it weighs a ton!

If you are going to do this create files at the same resolution as the TV (1920*1080 for most had TVs) so it doesn't have to interpolate the images. They will load faster as well D

Last edited:
TV wise, a TV with video inputs and you should be able to hook up your camera directly to it to view.

A lot of modern TVs also play from USB so you can load onto USB stick and view away.

Obviously then there are the various other things you can get for the TV, like Apple TV, Amazon fire etc , which you can stream to it from your PC - some TVs also allow this directly [emoji3]

If you buy a telly to 'view' your pictures, in a few years you'll want a new monitor to process them on.

The surface pro 2 I bought from the forum has an amazing res. Wish my monitor was as clear. There are so many different specs for tvs nowadays, I'm just lost. When I think back to the 1950's and how we waited for the bush 9 inch to "warm up". Prog on at 5? Turn it on at 5 to!

The surface pro 2 I bought from the forum has an amazing res. Wish my monitor was as clear. There are so many different specs for tvs nowadays, I'm just lost. When I think back to the 1950's and how we waited for the bush 9 inch to "warm up". Prog on at 5? Turn it on at 5 to!
Re TV's, when I was a kid the telly had to 'warm up', then in the 80's Sony developed Trinitron, and everyone else followed and telly's started much faster.

Then we got cable and satellite and the telly started to take a while again, then we got recording built into our receiver and it became a computer, and now it takes longer to 'see' my telly than it did in the 70's :(

Viewing you images on a 4k TV is a whole different experience. Just WOW.

It depends really. 4k by itself isn't a huge update. 4K with Wider Colour Gamut, High Dynamic Range and High Frame Rate, yes. But then the colour gamut doesn't match sRGB or AdobeRGB.

Viewing you images on a 4k TV is a whole different experience. Just WOW.
Bought an LG 43 inch 4k etc etc
WOW! Forget tv, I'm just going to spend time looking through our photos. You were right PHIL V - I do need a new monitor to process them on. The quality is amazing. I'm better than I thought. (big head!)

WOW! Forget tv, I'm just going to spend time looking through our photos. You were right PHIL V - I do need a new monitor to process them on. The quality is amazing. I'm better than I thought. (big head!)
I think you totally misunderstood my post.
TV's aren't designed to be good monitors - it's making your images look better than they are because it's boosting contrast and saturation.

So if you use it to make your images look 'natural' when processing, they'll look crap on a proper monitor or in print.

Cheers Phil. Anything that makes my images look better than they are .... Is there a tv which can improve my composition? ;)

Cheers Phil. Anything that makes my images look better than they are .... Is there a tv which can improve my composition? ;)
The images won't look better on the Internet for others or in print though.

I'm puzzled how any photographer would be happy with their images over processed by a TV screen :thinking:

I love doing what I do and I'm happy with the images I produce. There is so much to learn and I love that too. Three years ago, I was told that I was crap. I've seen many a pro on B whose photos I would be ashamed of. Since retiring I have found something else to occupyy days and will continue t do so. I am an AMATEUR and will never be good enough to be splashed across the pages of a mag.

India and Nepal-9237.jpg

Last edited:

Have I got this right, Steven... you're displaying your photos on a 4K TV, and hoping for a new monitor to get your processing more accurate? Sounds like you and Phil are at least somewhat in agreement!

Back