Twenty Eighteen

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
So what do you think 2018 will hold? Are you planning any particular projects for the year or perhaps some trips are in the diary?

Having photographed the same pair of Little owls for about five summers I think I'm going put those on the back burner and really focus on the hares and badgers that share the same farm. I'm also seriously pondering building a setup for buzzards and red kites using roadkill (I now know the make of one-way glass favoured by the likes of Bence Mate so I'm going to look in to the cost of acquiring some of that). A slight change at work means for much of the year I'm going to be alternating morning/afternoon shift patterns, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get a bit more the week.

I have no trips planned at the moment; the demands of house renovations means I'm probably not going to be able to justify anything major. However I am ponding trying use a long weekend to make it to either the GDT annual conference or the NatureTalks event that now runs in the Netherlands.

Over to you....

Nothing in the diary yet, I actually plan to take less images but work on the quality.

I want to improve my work flow and preparing images for display.

Ultimately, I would like to start to plan for a trip to Iceland in 2019.

Last edited:
3 for me, but that might change.

1, photograph a kingfisher, tick,
2, photograph Rum from Eigg, not ticked, yet,
3, do my LRPS, but I am reconsidering this and may do something else instead,

I'll probably also do various sporadic and spur of the moment things when conditions allow.

My main aim though is to hopefully improve my photography and the advice and inspiration I find here on these forums will be a significant part of that.

I’ve started a new blog to help improve my writing, and help put my images into context and also have (perhaps a bit ambitiously :help:) set myself a challenge to photograph all the birds of the United Kingdom, which I’m hoping should be a fun experience and interesting to plan!

Other than that, just to try and improve my photography as much as I can.

I’ve started a new blog to help improve my writing, and help put my images into context and also have (perhaps a bit ambitiously :help:) set myself a challenge to photograph all the birds of the United Kingdom, which I’m hoping should be a fun experience and interesting to plan!
Are you imposing a minimum quality of photographs on yourself, or will even the most perfunctory record shot sufficient? Also, how are you defining "British birds", there's a lot of very infrequent migrants?

Are you imposing a minimum quality of photographs on yourself, or will even the most perfunctory record shot sufficient? Also, how are you defining "British birds", there's a lot of very infrequent migrants?

I’m not counting record shots and hoping all the images will have at least some photographical/artistic merit. And after some deliberating I’ve decided to use the BOU ‘British List’, but not include the ‘rarities’. Hopefully should all be alot of fun!

No real trips planned Paul, but many localish thought about,red squirrels brownsea puffins skomer, and some fulmars from my childhood ,mind time will probably clobber everything.

I'd like to grab a few more images for my hare portfolio some close boxing is much desired and some humbug coloured boar would be good.Maybe the reverse of you settle a hide by some Lo's have also mused buzzards roadkill and a static hide myself actually maybe on the alotment,maybe a reflection pool too.I'm undecided ,but have the shed sorted.

Otters another plausible candidate,got a tip beside a spot I've known of myself for a few years now. Learn PSCC inside out and graft my self into an early grave for more gear. We have fox and badger sets close sooner or later they will be a target for sure if I could catch either with kids it would be amazing

That's about it really Oh if I can get my mate to pull his finger out soon enough a chance at some peregrines a schedule one licence and the learning curve therein would add nicely they are close to me and reachable in the summer evenings

finally just one decent close chance in some blindingly stunning light with the shorties,they have done me for two years nearly now ,i'm well overdue a break !!!!

So basically a hell of alot which ninety percent of work will trash,but hopes are high

bring it on

stu

ps very interested in that glass !!

Hopefully 2018 will allow me to do more photography. A week in Spain next week is in jeopardy because of the dog, moving out of our house in February, have to find a new one ( any suggestions), a new employer but booked two weeks in the Okavango delta, Botswana[emoji846]. Also hope to improve my pp skills. All the best to everyone, may your dreams be fulfilled

Myself I am going to concentrate on particular species, mainly hare, fox, badger if possible, steer away from deer in parks and aim for the wilder stuff if you understand, last year I gained permission on a local farm which is promising as I have seen most of the above subjects on this said farm. Probably travel around the uk more perhaps if funds allow I will go further afield and if I could do it just the once I like to do a safari but maybe thats a lottery win needed to fund it as they don't seem to come cheap, and etc etc etc.............

I'm relatively new to this wildlife stuff and am only able to get time to shoot stuff local to me. Over the last few months I have been getting some decent results with a buzzards that is now visiting me daily so I hope to get some flight stuff over the coming months. K build a hide and reflection pool where I am feeding it so hope to get some of the garden birds at the pool too. And I got some kingfisher perched shots last year so would like some flight shots there too. I am also watching a local badger set at the moment and would like some shots from there.

3, do my LRPS, but I am reconsidering this and may do something else instead,

As someone who helped another to their LRPS and shot my own in one day I can 100% say you'd walk the LRPS bud :)

So, if you wish to go for a distinction with the RPS then I'd suggest skipping the L and going straight for the A :)

Dave

Back