Twiggy the snow boxer

These are brilliant! I've been trying to get some pictures of my Spaniel, but he's far harder being black and white, I'm either blowing out one colour or the other!

These are brilliant! I've been trying to get some pictures of my Spaniel, but he's far harder being black and white, I'm either blowing out one colour or the other!

Thanks! It's a similar situation here as Twiggy has got a very black face and it is nice to get some detail in it and I didn't want to blow the snow.

I find if I shoot in Raw and underexpose a tad, I can use fill light to get detail back in the shadows and then darken the blacks to get some contrast back.

Just shows what a little extra effort can get you. Lighting is spot on and gives your photos the wow factor.

:clap:

Fantastic, really like these, the colours are sensational.

Nicely exposed pic, question - is this indoor shoot? The 'tree' has a horrendous shadow on it making the background look like an image rather than a real background. I'm guessing it's not, but it's really distracting me. And if it is, wondering if you can do anyting about the shadow to detract from the fact it's a fake background?

That and the 'grey' top half of the second pic is out place too.

However, cute pics.

Last edited:
there great shots i've got a boxer with a black face the problem i have been having is getting over the green eye if anyone has any suggestions as to how i can overcome this i would very much appreciate it

really gorgeous Pete!!! :)

Top notch!

Thanks guys

Nicely exposed pic, question - is this indoor shoot? The 'tree' has a horrendous shadow on it making the background look like an image rather than a real background. I'm guessing it's not, but it's really distracting me. And if it is, wondering if you can do anyting about the shadow to detract from the fact it's a fake background?

That and the 'grey' top half of the second pic is out place too.

However, cute pics.

Thanks for the comments shorty. It was shot in my garden today, the "shadow" on the tree behind is actually another tree which is out of focus and out of reach of the flash. Now you have mentioned it, I agree it is a bit distracting and I should probably crop it out...

PeterBlandford0002.jpg

The grey top half of the second pic looks more pronounced on the compressed for web shot here than the original and is down to the fact that I deliberately underexposed the background by a stop or so to make twiggy stand out more.

I have gone back and created a version where the background is white and it looks very artificial to me, what do you think?

PeterBlandford0001.jpg

It's very strange - this is more what my original looks like, is it usual for very light grey's to darken on compression?

Last edited:
there great shots i've got a boxer with a black face the problem i have been having is getting over the green eye if anyone has any suggestions as to how i can overcome this i would very much appreciate it

Green eye, I think, is a bit like red eye on humans. You will get this with direct on camera flash. The way to avoid this is by getting the flash off camera. You can do this with a flash cord, radio flash triggers or the manufacturers infra red triggering systems.

The pics looks much better with the crop, yeah - the DOF is still misleading - but that's only my fault nothing wrong with the picture.

And you're right making the background white does look artificial not to worry! Doesn't detract from the pics :)

i only have a flash gun so if i was to use that but point it away from her then this should hopefully stop the green eye

Thanks for the comments guys, Stuart, that is a lovely boxer, I wouldn't use direct on camera flash, bouncing it of a large white wall or putting it in a softbox off camera is the way I would go.

As for keeping her still, she's a pretty good dog and would you believe it has pretty much learned to pose! If I shout "sit!" she sits down and looks a bit ****ed off while I take photos. There is a set with her photos on my flickr stream if anybody cares...

I LOVE the second shot you posted - great colours and the pose is very natural. I'm not keen on the edit you have done on the same shot - agree that it looks very artificial.

She's a lovely looking dog (bitch) Pete ! nicely handled in all that white stuff too (y)

The second in the original post is my favourite !
The first it good, with or without the the
cropped out tree to the right though.

The edit ( "white background") as you say looks artificial to me. ;)

Great shots!

Are boxer can never make his mind up weather to jump into the snow head first or just eat it!

Pete,
I can only echo what every body has said already.
These are superb photo's, with great colour, exposure with a great setting......oh and not forgetting a fantastic model:) He has such a cheeky face and expression.............makes me smile every time I look at him.

Thanks for sharing

Mick

These are both great, Pete, particularly the edited versions. I prefer the lightened snow even if that is not what it looked like at the time, as the whole image then looks more natural to me. With the darker background the flash is more obvious.

(y)

I LOVE the second shot you posted - great colours and the pose is very natural. I'm not keen on the edit you have done on the same shot - agree that it looks very artificial.

Loving the snow moustache, nice work

She's a lovely looking dog (bitch) Pete ! nicely handled in all that white stuff too (y)

The second in the original post is my favourite !
The first it good, with or without the the
cropped out tree to the right though.

The edit ( "white background") as you say looks artificial to me. ;)

just looked at your flickr shots pete and they are fantastic

Beautiful dog and really nice shots...A dog, snow and off camera flash, sounds challenging!

great shots! lighting is excellent.

Thanks guys

Great shots!

Are boxer can never make his mind up weather to jump into the snow head first or just eat it!

:LOL: you're not wrong! thanks for the comments

Pete,
I can only echo what every body has said already.
These are superb photo's, with great colour, exposure with a great setting......oh and not forgetting a fantastic model:) He has such a cheeky face and expression.............makes me smile every time I look at him.

Thanks for sharing

Mick

Thanks Mick

These are both great, Pete, particularly the edited versions. I prefer the lightened snow even if that is not what it looked like at the time, as the whole image then looks more natural to me. With the darker background the flash is more obvious.

(y)

Thanks for that, there seems to be no consensus on this one, I guess it's a matter of taste. The uncompressed orginal is probably somewhere between the two.

Back