Twin Atlantic @ Manchester Roadhouse

Name
Jessica
Edit My Images
Yes
I went to see the Glasgow band Twin Atlantic play at the Roadhouse in Manchester last night and had permission from them to take my DSLR. It was my first time using my 24-70mm f2.8L at a gig, but sadly the results weren't quite to my liking. I'm hoping you could suggest how I could improve next time.

The lighting was almost non existant and some parts of the stage weren't lit at all (where the bass player was) and the drummer was in an alcove type bit. Because it was so incredibly dark I used the slowest shutter speeds I could get away with (1/20 - 1/60) but they are quite a lively band so blur was inevitable.

How would you aproach this sort of gig? What settings would you use? I didn't want to use flash as it ruins the look of gig photos I think. (flash was allowed at this gig)

Anyway. Less about the problems, and onto the photos.

3056876062_64575f9ffe.jpg

3056871696_44039e7d4d.jpg

3056035237_890aab1f6a.jpg

3056034711_b80402c6aa.jpg

3056873802_7a301d8901.jpg

Sorry if that exceeds the ammount of photos that can be posted in one thread, just wanted to post a wide selection so that I can get tips for next time. Apart from the B&W one and a slight brightening of the cello/bass player and drummer all others I have are straight from camera with no pp (nothing seemed to improve them :bang:)

Last edited:
Well the last is a cracker :D I like the conversion, and the action speaks volumes!!!

I've edited to add numbers to each photo and hoping someone can give me advice for the next time I shoot there.

Gary - Thank you for your comment.

Good news is the band are pleased with them :)

love the last one................. very rock n roll

What ISO were you using? They all look pretty rock n' roll to me, especially the last.

I was using ISO1600. It was so dark I was doing everything I could just to get a reasonable image.

I have the nifty but as I have a 400D (1.6 cropped frame) the 50mm just doesn't get enough in shot. I was going to use the nifty on a film camera but I left getting film untill the day (was a bit of a last minute idea) and couldn't get any :(

I did a couple of gigs at the Roadhouse (officially) and the lighting there is the worst I've ever had to endure...and I do weddings :p

Even resorted to using flash with my 70-200 2.8 IS....black and white works wonders ;)

My friend was using the 50 1.8 and was getting marginally better results than me with my 2.8 range but still not fantastic!

I did a couple of gigs at the Roadhouse (officially) and the lighting there is the worst I've ever had to endure...and I do weddings :p

I feel a bit better on hearing that. I thought maybe I was just an incompetent novice (well I am, but, y'know:LOL:) At least next time I'll know what to expect of the Roadhouse.

Back