TWO droplet collisions in one photo

Edit My Images
Yes
So, I managed to get two droplet collisions in one photo! I got two photos of this occuring, this is the best of the two, as the other one's forms aren't so nice. Click for larger.

The set up:

IMGP0007.jpg

Awesome. Simply awesome! (y)(y)(y)(y)

Whilst I love the finished photo, I RELLY love the photo of the set up (y)(y)

where in your little set up is the drop actually hitting?? And can we get a close up of the bit where the drops are actually coming from too Ash? (the bit on the end of the stick) It's simply is really WOW, I'm determind to try it.

Vi x

Once again your inspiring others to do this!!! Simply amazing!!!

Shame you can see the indents of the polystyrene in the water.....again pleez! lol

Last edited:
Cracking shot, what are the camera and flash settings?

Again well done.

Gives me a little hope, going to look to set up something instead of the kitchen tap.

Thought 1 collision was impressive but 2..............

Spike

nice to see you have these mastered AND taking a step further, brill work mate

where in your little set up is the drop actually hitting?? And can we get a close up of the bit where the drops are actually coming from too Ash? (the bit on the end of the stick) It's simply is really WOW, I'm determind to try it.

Vi x

Sorry... so, in that picture, the tray at the bottom contains green water. The jug is used to catch the flow of drops between trying for the collision (still impact water is needed). It's placed there while I took the pic, it's not there as the droplets hit the water in the black pan.

And yes, of course. It's two of the airline valves attached to a wooden spoon. I had taken it apart to soak, but put it back together just for you ;)

IMG_7972.jpg

IMG_7973.jpg

Give it a go!

Once again your inspiring others to do this!!! Simply amazing!!!

Shame you can see the indents of the polystyrene in the water.....again pleez! lol

Thanks Dave! And yeh... it's annoying. That picture has been editted more than most to make the background mostly/all black, compared with how it was (error in my setting up meant you could see the pan), but I tried with the polystyrene and couldn't get rid of it. Plain white paper is order of the day for next time!

Wowzers. Great shot and super set up... :clap:

Thank you!

Cracking shot, what are the camera and flash settings?

Thanks so much. For all of my "droplet" pictures, I use shutter 1/200, F16, ISO 100. Gives you good quality and good DOF. I use a darkened room (important), and an external flash set on 1/16th power (the min it can go til, til I buy a better one). In a darkened room, the effective shutter speed is actually the speed of the flash. And so the actual shutter speed is irrelevant. Indeed, these photos come out identical at shutter speed of 2 seconds (y)

that is incredible, wonderful shot!

Appreciated!

Again well done.

Gives me a little hope, going to look to set up something instead of the kitchen tap.

Thought 1 collision was impressive but 2..............

Spike

Yeh, have a go! It's really not that hard of a set up, specially not if you're just doing one collision. Incidentally, I obviously did get a good load of normal "one" collisions from either droplets, but that wasn't tonight's point!

nice to see you have these mastered AND taking a step further, brill work mate

Haha, thank you Robbo!

PS....should I tell you some thing I love about your work...........

....you dont use all the high tech stuff that is available, you use simple house items, and achieve EXCELLENT pictures, it just shows its down to the photographer and not just the equipment. Think its great you set you pics up mate.

....you dont use all the high tech stuff that is available, you use simple house items, and achieve EXCELLENT pictures, it just shows its down to the photographer and not just the equipment. Think its great you set you pics up mate.

Couldn't agree more, simple everyday items transform into stunning results. And you share your experiences!!

Aww, thanks Robbo! I would use the high tech stuff if I could afford it :p But I am a lowely student and so wooden spoons and airline valves will have to do for now! :LOL:

My uncle and I talked about my pictures when I saw him over xmas, he works in the engineering bit of a uni, and he's going to see if he can fix me up one of those Photo-gate style timers to have a play with :D

But yes, presently it relies on me pressing the buttons at the right time...

Couldn't agree more, simple everyday items transform into stunning results. And you share your experiences!!

Thank you so much :) And yes of course... it's rude not to share!

u might have a lil TP/ebay money make scheme coming on here! lol

u might have a lil TP/ebay money make scheme coming on here! lol

might as well make a few bob out of it (y)

I can make a sound to flash trigger, sure we can do a deal here lol :)

Haha :) Don't worry about it, you'll all hear about if I get one! (y)

I may! :LOL:

Robbo could use that with his floury balloons! :LOL:

which reminds me!....flour bomb part two (for the monthly comp) may be taking another attempt tomorrow!

thank you very very much Ash, will try get gold of some of them, and some of that tubing too! Also in need of one of them flash thingis... what's their proper name?

Excellent shots, excellent setup and a great explanation of your method.

Spot on mate. Never seen two collisions in an image. Brilliant.

Been looking at this thread and taking it all in.

I have been meaning to try this for a while and will be trying it this week.
Thanks for the setup and settings i'll let you see how i get on.

md

which reminds me!....flour bomb part two (for the monthly comp) may be taking another attempt tomorrow!

I saw a post by you mentioning that ;)

thank you very very much Ash, will try get gold of some of them, and some of that tubing too! Also in need of one of them flash thingis... what's their proper name?

Cool! They're sold in aquarium or pet shops, or of course... good ol' Ebay.

The flash I got is an external flash from Jessops, the "360AFD". That and the extension cord for it, when bought online, comes to £87.25 :)

great shot and thanks SO much for sharing your setup and ideas with us ;)

No worries at all! Thank you.

Excellent shots, excellent setup and a great explanation of your method.

Spot on mate. Never seen two collisions in an image. Brilliant.

Thanks Ian! :D I have seen a couple... which is what made me want to try it :)

Been looking at this thread and taking it all in.

I have been meaning to try this for a while and will be trying it this week.
Thanks for the setup and settings i'll let you see how i get on.

md

Cool! I will look out for threads (y)

Amazing for the amount of technology you use (none).
KISS, keep it simple stupid, seems to be your modus operandi which works very well.
I have a timing device and still cannot get that elusive collision, even using your idea of a valve to control flow.

Allan

Seems to work indeed! Once you've got a method that's working too... I am reluctant to change it.

What type of timing device to you have?

Wow! Ash ... :clap: What's next? ..... Seriously though, really good work (y)

Wow! Ash ... :clap: What's next? ..... Seriously though, really good work (y)

I guess tomorrow's is two different coloured droplets collisions in one photo, using two resevoirs? Hmm... actually that might be pushing it! :LOL:

Thanks Splog, means a lot :) The reason I started taking all these droplet pictures was after joining here and seeing yours (and others) amazing photos. Best purchase I ever made that camera was!

Great shot and a really helpfull set up.

I apologise if this is a stupid question, but how do you keep the rest of the water so dark, yet the droplet lit up? :thinking:

Back