Two from Paddy's Hole

Les McLean

In Memoriam
Name
Les
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken the other evening after visiting family up t'north.

Both with Canon 1Ds MKII, 50mm 1.4 lens

1) 20sec @ f14, ISO200

VK0I2957s.jpg

Larger image:
http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/PH/VK0I2957.jpg

2) 20sec @f14 ISO100

VK0I2953.jpg

both brilliant but i prefer the portrait crop, the boats lead you in nicely :)

Two great shots Les. I prefer the colour in the sky of the first but the composition of the second. A mixture of the two would be great(y)

I'm gonna break the trend here :D

I personally prefere the landscape shot, both in colour and composition. I find the boats lead me to the reflection cast by the water of the light in the distance behind it. From there across the distance to the whole host of interest on the left hand side.

20 seconds though?! blimey! Those boats bar the obvious few must have been utterly motionless, as they are so sharp! Nice work :)

My aren't the stars bright! :D

I'm with Woodsy, the water leads your eye in an arc that allows you to explore every part of #1.

:clap:

I'm gonna break the trend here :D

20 seconds though?! blimey! Those boats bar the obvious few must have been utterly motionless, as they are so sharp! Nice work :)

Thanks :), the majority of the boats were still 'grounded' due to being low tide, but I kept the shutter speed as low as possible with the desired aperture (by adjusting the ISO) as it was windy, therefore tried to minimize the risk of any movement in the stationary boats. I used the 50mm 1.4 lens, and it's so sharp you cut yourself on it at times :)

Nice shots, but there seems to be an odd vertical line on the right hand side of the 1st shot over the top of the motion blurred boat.

Think the 2nd one just nudges it over the first for me :)

Nice shots, but there seems to be an odd vertical line on the right hand side of the 1st shot over the top of the motion blurred boat.

Looks like the boat's mast blurred?

A nice pair of shots - 2nd for me!

Lovely shots Les, but way over-saturated for me.

VK0I2953-edit.jpg

I'll bugger off now! :D

Hmm, I see your point CT, and I do like the desaturated version, but I think the originals work best imho. I think only because I have been around environments such as those depicted in the OP, I can visualise the lights and effects being almost exactly as shown. But of course, that's just me :D

These are absolutely gorgeous!! Beautiful and colours and lovely composition :)

Lovely shots Les, but way over-saturated for me.

I'll bugger off now! :D

I can see where you are coming from, and I appreciate rich saturated colours are not too everyones taste, one of the reasons early evening long exposures attracts me, is the rich saturated colours it (sometimes) produces.

Thread revival!

I was looking through the Landscape Photographer of the Year book when I thought; "I've seen that picture ...... I know that name!"

Well done Les on having your picture (maybe there is more I have not finished :D) included in this great body of work. :clap: :clap:

In fact is there anyone else in the book from TP? I know at least two other people in the book but they not visitors to TP.

Thread revival!

I was looking through the Landscape Photographer of the Year book when I thought; "I've seen that picture ...... I know that name!"

Well done Les on having your picture (maybe there is more I have not finished :D) included in this great body of work. :clap: :clap:

In fact is there anyone else in the book from TP? I know at least two other people in the book but they not visitors to TP.

Thanks Gary

I know Issey (Les F) got an image published also.

Simonkit (simon) and Richard Peters both were shortlisted.

Not a bad outcome for TP :)

What's this book... would be interested in getting a copy of this.

Pics from my locality here too Les :) I like... though am wondering how you managed a 20sec exposure without movement in the boats? The little buggers are rocking all over the place every time I go.

Thread revival!

Just got my copy through the post this morning, and there is some excellent images in there, Les F's image looks stunning.

I noticed 2 or 3 HDR images in the book (out of 160), a couple of strips of masking tape soon sorted them out though ;) :)

That's why i said 156-157 not 157-158 :D

I should have this book by the end of the day courtesy of Amazon. Am looking forward to comparing your shot in print to on screen.

Very nice Les. I love the colours. Has an almost 'Toy Town' feel to it. Very effective :)

Hi Les
I can only see one of your shots .. the 1st ??
Very striking image .. great capture.

Back