Two from the Ordesa Valley

Just a thought and in addition to JohnFar's comment above.......

I might look at darkening the far skyline above the rounded top, and then opening up the shadows on the left had side to show a bit of detail there. But it's all personal innit?......

I used a 0.9 GND on the scene during exposure - I felt this darkened the sky down sufficiently - although some additional tinkering might work with the sky nicely - there is room in the raw for more detail to be pulled out of the shadows but I like the contrast ;)

None of the blacks are blocked - the detail at full res and preview is all there

I used a 0.9 GND on the scene during exposure - I felt this darkened the sky down sufficiently - although some additional tinkering might work with the sky nicely - there is room in the raw for more detail to be pulled out of the shadows but I like the contrast ;)

None of the blacks are blocked - the detail at full res and preview is all there

The .9 grad has done a good job. I had an accident with my .6 Lee grad recently and was thinking of replacing it with a .9 . Is this what you would recommend ? Quite often I have to use the LR grad to darken my skies to enhance the clouds but at £70 I didn't want to buy the .9 to find it was too much and I should have got another .6 and carried out any further darkening in LR. with the grad filter.

The .9 grad has done a good job. I had an accident with my .6 Lee grad recently and was thinking of replacing it with a .9 . Is this what you would recommend ? Quite often I have to use the LR grad to darken my skies to enhance the clouds but at £70 I didn't want to buy the .9 to find it was too much and I should have got another .6 and carried out any further darkening in LR. with the grad filter.

Thanks - I’d recommend the 0.9 soft. It’s the one filter I couldn’t live without. I do carry a 0.6 but I don’t use it nearly as much.

Lee do a 0.75 GND - it’s a good halfway house between the two. I’d look at that if you’re concerned with the 0.9 being too much.

Last edited:
The Ordesa Valley. I'd never heard of that. It's beautiful. In the Pyrenees.

Your pictures made me go look it up. Nicely done.

The whole area is incredible - I’ve prepared two articles in my site about my time there - there’s two more to follow mind you

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/landscape-photography-pyrenees-october-2019-part-1/

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/landscape-photography-pyrenees-october-2019-part-2/

I cannot recommend the Pyrenees and in particular the Ordesa Y Monte Perdido National Park enough

Thanks - I’d recommend the 0.9 soft. It’s the one filter I couldn’t live without. I do carry a 0.6 but I don’t use it nearly as much.

Lee do a 0.75 GND - it’s a good halfway house between the two. I’d look at that if you’re concerned with the 0.9 being too much.

Thanks. I'll look at the .75 too. I was unaware of that one.

Had to Google it myself. Looks impressive.

I couldn't recommend it enough - certainly if I lived in the South of England I would question the wisdom of heading to Northern Scotland when this isn't that much further and a whole lot better plus the weather more predictable :D

I'm hopefully, fingers crossed - back again in the Autumn of this year.

I couldn't recommend it enough - certainly if I lived in the South of England I would question the wisdom of heading to Northern Scotland when this isn't that much further and a whole lot better plus the weather more predictable :D

I'm hopefully, fingers crossed - back again in the Autumn of this year.

We flew to Portugal Sept. 15 2018 to stay at Lake Garda and I assume these are the Pyrenees ? For the first time I've used the Lightroom6 dehaze filter and it's great. What a difference.
I don't normally add photos to someone elses but thought you might like to see them. 35,000ft, I assume.

3 (3 of 1).jpg

4 (4 of 1).jpg

If you flew to Portugal from the UK the flight route might take you down via the Pyrenees but more than likely over the mountains of Leon further west - google Riaño,_León and you can see where you think your flight might have gone over.

Riano is on my bucket list at somepoint too.

If you flew to Portugal from the UK the flight route might take you down via the Pyrenees but more than likely over the mountains of Leon further west - google Riaño,_León and you can see where you think your flight might have gone over.

Riano is on my bucket list at somepoint too.

Got it. Yes,that looks like the route. I wish pilots would give more information about where the flights are over. I don't like looking down and wondering. Lol.

What a lovely place. We've been twice to Santander (Brittany Ferries) to photograph the dolphins and whales (if we're lucky) in the Bay of Biscay and an immediate return with the charity ORCA (I'm a member) and I see that it's not far from there to Riaño. So, looks like they are the Montes de Leon, then. I can amend the name for my photos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riaño,_León

Back