Two grandchildren from today

They're lovely.

Is the first one a composite? Something about it is jarring. Might just be the lighting, it looks like you've got one to either side of the model, albeit at different powers. It's always more natural looking to have the fill directly on the lens axis.

They're lovely.

Is the first one a composite? Something about it is jarring. Might just be the lighting, it looks like you've got one to either side of the model, albeit at different powers. It's always more natural looking to have the fill directly on the lens axis.
Thank you. I had very limited space, I could not get the distance between subject and background that I wanted. I first tried a reflector for fill, but after 3 test shots quickly had to include a fill light. Due to space restrictions, I had an unwanted shadow, so for one of the images I put a false background in. Generally I use a mid octa for fill and on or as near to the lens axis, on this occasion, just no space for that.

Thank you. I had very limited space, I could not get the distance between subject and background that I wanted. I first tried a reflector for fill, but after 3 test shots quickly had to include a fill light. Due to space restrictions, I had an unwanted shadow, so for one of the images I put a false background in. Generally I use a mid octa for fill and on or as near to the lens axis, on this occasion, just no space for that.
Not even to bounce off the wall behind you?

btw maybe it'd look less fake if you blurred the background a smidge, and then did some colour grading to bring the two elements together.

Nice! Id try a diff background for the first as I feel its too close a tone/colour to her hair

Not in my lounge, that would either be a doorway to the dining room or a wall hung TV. :)
I'd put a diffuser in the doorway and shoot through that. Or drape some white fabric over the TV & bounce off that. (I have actually done both, btw)

Failing that I'd do without the fill altogether rather than have one light either side of the subject.

I'd put a diffuser in the doorway and shoot through that. Or drape some white fabric over the TV & bounce off that. (I have actually done both, btw)

Failing that I'd do without the fill altogether rather than have one light either side of the subject.
Fill was reasonably close to the lens axis but was 18cm reflector. I maybe could have bounced from the ceiling? Its the same old trap, I don't get no where near a chance to shoot, and when I do I always want to produce something safe rather than experiment. A friend may be able to loan me some space in his factory in the near future. If so that'll be great - but than I'll have no excuses :) . I have posted another with some of the recommendations. Thank you all for your comments.

Attachments

• Canvas1647-2 .jpg
    Canvas1647-2 .jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 16
Fill was reasonably close to the lens axis but was 18cm reflector. I maybe could have bounced from the ceiling? Its the same old trap, I don't get no where near a chance to shoot, and when I do I always want to produce something safe rather than experiment. A friend may be able to loan me some space in his factory in the near future. If so that'll be great - but than I'll have no excuses :) . I have posted another with some of the recommendations. Thank you all for your comments.
Brilliant! She pops now!

that brings out her eye colour nicely :)

Back