Two Hovers - One on my hand, one in Flight

Edit My Images
No
Sphaerophoria Hover

IMG_6053.jpg

Marmalade Hover

IMG_6078.jpg

Thank you Peter, I appreciate your comments :)

Regarding the clarity, a lot of that comes from the light. It's been tough to get the light to this point and there are still lots of improvements that can be made I feel.

I always of course try to get as sharp in focus an image as I can get but one of the important things I'm sure you know is post process sharpening. From what I've read, even when you have an L series lens, there are filters on the sensor that can reduce overall sharpness a little (if I'm completely incorrect on this I apologise) and RAW files do tend to look a touch softer than expected.

What I do then is apply selective sharpening in post processing to recover the level of sharpness I saw with my eye whilst trying to avoid over sharpening (which causes jaggies) - (not focus correction however, if the shot is OOF, it's binned).

Then I'll apply some noise reduction to just make everything look a touch more silky. These are steps that take less than a minute to do.

Last edited:
don't downplay Ian, there's only so much can be done with PP, imo everything you produce is gold out of the box, its all in the initial capture

Thank you Ben, very kind of you to say. :)

Back