Two or More Fun Logic Puzzles

Edit My Images
No
Two fun puzzles for the weekend

Puzzle Number One

Aunt Sue was extremely touchy about her age. When a cheeky nephew was brave enough to ask her how old she was she cunningly replied, "I'm 35 years old not counting Saturdays or Sundays" How old was she?

Correct answers to #1 by Lynton and Shardsta below - Well done!

Puzzle Number Two

Two very long fences need to be painted. One is half the area of the other. A group of workmen spend half a day working on the large fence before splitting into 2 equally sized smaller groups, one of which starts work on the smaller section of fence.
At the end of the day the larger fence has been done but there are still 10 metres of the smaller fence to do.
One of the men from the second group returns the next day and it takes him all day to finish the job.
If everyone worked at the same pace - how many men were in the original group?

Answer to Puzzle #2 in Post 17 - thanks hglossop

Answers on a virtual postcard please

Last edited:
OK

Number 1. She is 49. counting every 5 of 7 days. Therefore 35*7/5 = 49

Number 2. 4 workmen.

If 1/2 a group can complete the remainder in the afternoon, they must have done 2/3 of the fence in the morning as double the amount working on it in the morning. Assuming work rate is constant then 2/3 of the smaller fence completed in the afternoon. If 1 man can complete 10m the next day (remaining 1/3) then must have had 2 to complete the 2/3 of the short fence and 2 to complete the 1/3 of the longer fence, therefore 4 in total.

Puzzzle No 1 - solved correctly by Lynton and shardsta - Gold Stars to you both ;)

Puzzle No 2 - no correct answer yet. (Sorry Lynton - but you are almost there! You are on the right lines). Head hurts Shardsta - LOL

Last edited:
Here is another:-

A man is looking at a picture on a wall and says:-

"Brothers and sisters, have I none, but that man's father is my father's son".

Who is in the picture ?

arclight said:
Here is another:-

A man is looking at a picture on a wall and says:-

"Brothers and sisters, have I none, but that man's father is my father's son".

Who is in the picture ?

Are picture of himself?

PUZZLE NUMBER 4 - Illogical but funny answer to follow

What's got 100 legs, 8 teeth and smells of urine?

The contents of a Saga/Wallace Arnold/Accrington Stanley coach? :D

Love your answer - the one that was given to me was:-

"The front row at a Cliff Richard concert" - so my sister hates this puzzle, sorry - joke :)

Last edited:
Full marks.

Are you sure?

Lets' say the man looking at the picture is Dave.
His son is called John.
His Dad is called Kevin.

If Dave is looking at the picture, and it's a picture of him, then that man's (Dave's) father (Kevin), is my father's (Kevin's) son (Dave). That would mean Dave is Dave's son. Not possible.

Are you sure?

Lets' say the man looking at the picture is Dave.
His son is called John.
His Dad is called Kevin.

If Dave is looking at the picture, and it's a picture of him, then that man's (Dave's) father (Kevin), is my father's (Kevin's) son (Dave). That would mean Dave is Dave's son. Not possible.

It's not that rare in Norfolk, I understand!

Nod said:
It's not that rare in Norfolk, I understand!

Don't knock it. Save a fortune at xmas!!!

If 1 man can complete 10m the next day (remaining 1/3) then must have had 2 to complete the 2/3 of the short fence and 2 to complete the 1/3 of the longer fence, therefore 4 in total.

You were right upto this point, but if 1 man can complete the 1/3 in an entire day, then it would take 2 to complete the other 2/3 in an entire day, but it was done in half a day so 4 men needed, with another 4 to complete the 1/3 of the longer fence therefore 8 men needed.

PUZZLE NUMBER 5

In a local hardware store 1 costs 49p, yet it costs 98p for 50 and £1.47 for 144.

What is being sold?

an easy one

3 men in a restaurant finish their meal and split the cost 3 ways. The cost is £30 so they each give the waiter £10.

the cashier tells the waiter that they were overcharged by £5 and asks him to return the £5 to the diners.

the waiter is a bit shifty and thinks that as the diners won't know, he will give them £1 each and keep the £2 extra for himself

so the diners get £1 back which means they each paid £9 for their meal

now if £9 x 3 = £27 and you add the £2 the waiter pocketed you get £29

so where did the extra £1 go??

If there was £5 change from the £30 then the actual bill was £25.

Each paid £9 which is £27 paid, the £25 for the bill and £2 the waiter kept, => £27

Back