Two"s company three is a crowed ?

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
A Short-eared Owl Asio flammeus And two Female Kestrels Falco tinnunculus trying to take a Vole of the Shortyurl=https://flic.kr/p/2dxLMhR]
46304522421_7861efe3de_k.jpg
[/url]_DM30939 by kevin robinson, on Flickr

Lovely action shot Kevin, muggings are quite common in the bird world but not often you see one caught on camera, particularly with two birds ganging up on another like this. (y)

One word about this shot, “Excellent”.(y)

George.

oh WOW great capture Kevin

Superb capture of such predator interaction ........I wonder is food in short supply this year compared to last year that this mobbing behaviour happens.

I've seen this for two or three years now on the trot,it might be down to food being in short supply but frankly Laurence I think this is a deliberate strategy by the kestrels. Kevs recent fabulous images have just added to my theories. No science behind this just watching and musing;) Kez will try and rob just about anyone !!

Fab Kev superb imagery

I've seen this for two or three years now on the trot,it might be down to food being in short supply but frankly Laurence I think this is a deliberate strategy by the kestrels. Kevs recent fabulous images have just added to my theories. No science behind this just watching and musing;) Kez will try and rob just about anyone !!

Fab Kev superb imagery

Fair comment/observation. On Guernsey earlier this year I saw a (or was it two?) Kestrel mobbing a Buzzard....................I did take some pictures but they were quite high up and what I did photograph needs large crops to see any details. AFAIK there was no food involved, the Buzzard was turning upside down to get its talons involved in the aerial squabble.

PS at the same location I first saw Kestrel(s) so quite likely overlapping or not so happily shared hunting grounds???

Last edited:
Overlapping territories occur and sure conflict there too,seen kez nail merlin and sparrowhawk with no food involved.Actually mate I've also seen spats at a peregrine nest site mind so bloody fast one can barely keep an eye on them let alone work out what the hell might be happening stunning to try and watch though ;) hmm pics no mate:LOL: Two falcons having a spat is FAAASSSTTTT

.What they do with the owls I'm sure is deliberate robbing of food............... a slightly different ploy/tactic. I do wonder if they deliberately don't push owls away from their territory ,because they know they have a fair chance of stealing the owls kills...I've watched an un mobbed shorty(and barnie) make a kill and seconds later kez is on it. i'm sure they (Kez) sit back and set these chances up.

I gotta say I take my hat off to Kev,it's hard enough seeing these things,getting that chance,but to nail some images as well,ha one day:D !!

....wonderful!!
Had to look twice to realize it wasnot a distorted owl!
TFS

Back