Two Triplanes & a Biplane spotted this afternoon

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

At approx 4:30pm north of Guildford in Surrey I spotted these planes flying over heading south Westerly direction.

I surmise they are likely modern replicas so who were they and where were they heading.......anyone got any idea????

They were probably part of the Great War Display team heading back to Sywell(?) from La Ferte Alais, France, where they had displayed this weekend. Long flight for them, at 60knots cruise and 13 knots headwind so I heard!

They were probably part of the Great War Display team heading back to Sywell(?) from La Ferte Alais, France, where they had displayed this weekend. Long flight for them, at 60knots cruise and 13 knots headwind so I heard!

Thanks for the 'pointer'........one Triplane was darker, one was light painted. So yes looks like the Great War Display team. Not sure where Sywell is?

PS I see Sywell in Northants.....the planes were seen in North Surrey heading south west, so Sywell not a likely destination ~ so just where to over night stopover???

Last edited:
Thanks for the 'pointer'........one Triplane was darker, one was light painted. So yes looks like the Great War Display team. Not sure where Sywell is?

PS I see Sywell in Northants.....the planes were seen in North Surrey heading south west, so Sywell not a likely destination ~ so just where to over night stopover???

*Might* have been Goodwood, but unsure. I'd say they GWDT would be a good bet, though,

*Might* have been Goodwood, but unsure. I'd say they GWDT would be a good bet, though,

Hmm! Goodwood would be a good bet/guess.....some years back when I had gift of track day in a single seater we saw the BBMF Hurricane being readied and then taking off. Hanger & apron was no more than 40ft from the waist high fence we were watching from :)

I have a feeling that Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) has a triplane which he flies with the GWDT.

Back