Types of Black and white film?

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I'm going on holiday next month and im looking to take my film slr with me. I have my own dark room at my parents where i would print the photos from the trip. However, my pet hate has been developing the film, not only that,i've run out of chemicals. my question is, should i stick with Black and white film, or go with something like Kodak black and white that i can get developed like C41 colour film? Would there be much difference? or would i get better results from using Ilford and getting them to develop the film and scan them to disk?

I hope im making some amount of sense

John

Its all about cost I guess. C41 films will be cheapest to get developed. B&W just seems to cost a fortune, especially at Ilford! It all depends on what qualities you want from your film too, I don't think 100iso and below is available in C41.

Just dev yourself, it doesn't take that long! ;)

Edit: Just checked, all C41 stuff is 400 iso.

Last edited:
Buy and shoot traditional B&W film, if you don't want to develop it yourself but do want to print it, either send it off to a proper film dev lab (i.e. Peak Imaging) or pay a film-enthusiast friend to do it for you. You'll get far better results and more choice of film to use.

You don't like developing, but you want B&W pictures. Two options, either shoot traditional B&W and get it developed at a lab, or shoot C-41 B&W film and get it developed at a lab. Traditional B&W films, you have more choice over speeds and emulsions, with C-41 B&W they are likely to be cheaper to get processed.

or shoot colour and print them as black and white

I dont mind developing,its abit of a hassel is all, ive only got a 1 roll tank, so all in all it'll take me a good hour and a half if i want to develop 5/6 when i come back. alternatively i could do it there on a daily basis. I'm considering going down paying for a lab(such as ilford) to develop the film and scan them to cd as i dont have a decent scanner myself.

Back