Beginner TZ100 JPEGS "Too" blue.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
View attachment 98737 View attachment 98737 P1040628.jpg TZ100 camera all defaults settings except -1/3 underexposure standard settings.
My skies appear to have too much blue otherwise everything else is good.
I would be grateful for ant advice regarding settings etc.

Attachments

• P1040677.jpg
    P1040677.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Looks fine on my 4k monitor. Did you shoot in raw? If not, perhaps you should shoot in raw and process as required, rather than asking the camera to make the settings. Or check your monitor?

Just be thankful to see blue skies!!! :p

Looks fine on my 4k monitor. Did you shoot in raw? If not, perhaps you should shoot in raw and process as required, rather than asking the camera to make the settings. Or check your monitor?
No, not RAW, JPEG.

No, not RAW, JPEG.

Colours look OK to me as well on my colour-calibrated monitor.

Please note that camera makers typically try to generate a "punchy" result for in-camera JPEGs. If they are not to your taste, you could adjust Photo Style as suggested above or shoot RAW + JPEG and then you can process the RAW files to your own taste with software such as Adobe Lightroom. To get consistent results, you should also colour calibrate your monitor.

In fact you should look at your photo on a colour calibrated monitor first before you change anything - you may well find that your photographs look fine.

How are you finding that 4k monitor? I did take a look a little while back but couldn't decide whether it was worth the big outlay?
Don't wish to hi-jack the OP's thread, but most standard displays have a small colour gamut compared to the actual image files being edited. If you invest heavily in buying the best cameras, lenses and printers, there is no point in limiting their potential by using a cheap computer display. A standard LCD's gamut is not much different to sRGB, whereas the Eizo 4K will capture near enough all of the Adobe RGB gamut. By using cheap displays, you might as well perhaps take all your images with a smart phone! :) (and they are getting better and better.)

Last edited by a moderator:
What WB you on? The houses on the first one have a blue hue to them imo!

What WB you on? The houses on the first one have a blue hue to them imo!

Yes, but the houses on the right are in shade, ie illuminated by light reflected from surroundings, in this case not direct sunlight, but blue from the sky and blue sky reflected off the water.

Shaded light is often bluey-green. The colour of an object is actually the colour of the light reflected from it at any given time, so while some of those buildings might be 'white' under neutral sunlight, they'll pick up a hue in shaded light. And that is correct - if colour was adjusted to get those houses pure white, the rest of the image would go very warm/yellow/orange.

Edit: Colour balance is as much art as science. For example, if the image was mostly of the shaded houses on the right with little or no direct sunlight in the scene, it would look better to our eye if colour was adjusted accordingly. If you wanted to be picky about that particular shot, then maybe in post-processing you'd run the local adjustment brush lightly over those buildings on the right and take out a little blue. But not too much - our visual system adjusts for things like that and to me it looks quite natural as it is.

Last edited:
Must admit it doesn't look right to me. This is with the WB taken off other points, the underside of a cloud, the building in the distance on the left and also one on the right, all give similar end results. This may not be right, just saying that a different result is just one click away and further tweaking may get a result close to what the op saw. For eg what colour were the flag stones on the left...

Finally I think I've found the answer ! Feel a little bit stupid & showing my lack of experience.
I have always underexposed by 1/3 stop so not to blow the highlights, playing safe I suppose. I was away at the south coast last weekend, not a great amount of sunshine but some blue skies occasionally.
This time I did not underexpose at all, so with all camera settings at default value. JPEG in "P" mode off I went.
I can't find any blown highlights & the blues aren't over cooked & look more like I saw them.

Thanks to everyone who offered / gave advice, much appreciated !
P1050096.jpg P1050264.jpg P1050096.jpg

Last edited:
Back