uh oh, lens comparison time?

wez130

Steak,wedges and a pint
Edit My Images
Yes
Sigma 80-400 F4.5-5.6 EX OS vs Canon 100-400 L IS F4.5-6.3

obvious pros to the sigma are twist zoom as opposed to push pull, half stop faster at the long end and price, why shouldn't i?

the Canon is actually 5.6 at the long end!!

The push/pull zoom is actually really good once you get used to it, especially covering the huge range it does, it is so quick and far easier than twisting.

Havent used the sigma, but owned the canon for a year it was the bees knees!!

I have not used the sigma 80 - 400 but have the canon 100 -400 and love the lens (the wife even bought herself one as well), I find the push pull very fast and prefer it to the twist action for speed.

Graham

Strange how people dislike the push/pull action, I actually prefer it - very fast in use. :shrug:

I have an old (must be like 20 years old, it's manual focus and apature lol) Tamron 80-210 f/3.8 telephoto which is push pull. Use it on my old Olympus OM20 that I occasionally use.

I also really like the push/pull, in some cases more than twist.

Not used the newer push/pull telephotos though.

Strange how people dislike the push/pull action, I actually prefer it - very fast in use. :shrug:
I prefer push-pull as well.

I really wasn't sure about the push pull system before I bought my 35-350L. However, having now used it for a while, I totally love it :D Far faster to change focal length but more importantly, much more stable whilst changing focal length ss your supporting hand stays in position under the lens rather then twisting round the lens.

Haven't used the Sigma myself but I find the reviews on fredmiranda very useful for these types of comparisons as they are from end users.

the one thing i don't like about push pull is the fact it attracts dust with its bellow action.

the one thing i don't like about push pull is the fact it attracts dust with its bellow action.

For every person who argues it does that, there's another who argues it doesn't. I can't say I've found it a problem.

Sigma 80-400 F4.5-5.6 EX OS vs Canon 100-400 L IS F4.5-6.3

obvious pros to the sigma are twist zoom as opposed to push pull, half stop faster at the long end and price, why shouldn't i?
1. Twist zoom isn't an advantage. The 100-400 zoom mechanism is superb and easy.
2. The 100-400 is f/5.6 at 400mm, not f/6.3.

and...

3. The Sigma has a zoom lock switch, which implies that if you're carrying it around half-zoomed it will tend to extend of its own accord (like my Sigma 18-200 does). The Canon has a neat mechanism to tighten or loosen the zoom to your taste.
4. Sigma is considerably heavier: 1750g vs 1380g.
5. Does anybody know how good Sigma's OS is compared to canon's IS?

Back