UK 18 Foot GrandPrix. *Amazing Sailing*

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Not been on for a while as I have been manic with photo work. But here a few of the amazing 18 foot skiff sailing off calshot this weekend.

Lighting was interesting but the rain managed to stay off for most of the day. It would have been nice to get a bit more wind for these boats, but ho hum.

These boats are massive in Australia but the UK fleet is growing. This is the second event of the year and i will be following them for the next two.

The Last one of the set is to show how close I get to the sea.... :) Anyway, off now to photograph them again, enjoy.

Last edited:
Laying around in the bottom of a safety rib? Not good for the kit!
Looks like alot of fun, bit choppy would have made it more interesting!
Really good set of images, from arty to trying to untangle themselves from a mark.
Thanks for posting
Shaun

Laying around in the bottom of a safety rib? Not good for the kit!
Looks like alot of fun, bit choppy would have made it more interesting!
Really good set of images, from arty to trying to untangle themselves from a mark.
Thanks for posting
Shaun

Hi Shaun. Lying around in the bottom of a rib, yes. Safety rib, no.

I've done my fair bit of safety boat coverage and taking photos and it really is a bore, kit gets trashed and has to come second to the safety of the sailors. So this year im using a dedicated rib as a platform for photography :)

I was willing the wind to fill in, but as it was a NE it was gusty and shifty, and these boats don't like that :) Fingers crossed for some real wind for their next event down in Poole...

Hi Shaun. Lying around in the bottom of a rib, yes. Safety rib, no.

I've done my fair bit of safety boat coverage and taking photos and it really is a bore, kit gets trashed and has to come second to the safety of the sailors. So this year im using a dedicated rib as a platform for photography :)

I was willing the wind to fill in, but as it was a NE it was gusty and shifty, and these boats don't like that :) Fingers crossed for some real wind for their next event down in Poole...

Yeah, safety has to come first.
Looking at the shots and your angle your shooting from I guess you not driving? Press boat or your own rib?
Would guess the crews would have liked that also, trying to second guess the weather must be a pain
Real wind, spinnakers and speed :)
Shaun

Boggy said:
Yeah, safety has to come first.
Looking at the shots and your angle your shooting from I guess you not driving? Press boat or your own rib?
Would guess the crews would have liked that also, trying to second guess the weather must be a pain
Real wind, spinnakers and speed :)
Shaun

That's another thing I've changed, I'm shooting from a low angle generally from the very back of the rib, and in most cases leaning out to get lower to the water. I think it gives the photos that little edge over other marine photographers work locally anyhow, most shoot from the console whilst driving.

I tend to have a driver 80% off the time and use what ever rib I can get my hands on. I have friends all along the coast with ribs so use them. I want to get a rib but need to find the right boat :) fast, but fuel efficient is the order of the day lol. Next month I'm photographing big tris and cats and with the right conditions they can get upto 30+ knots, so the right rib is essential :)

Fast, but fuel efficient, is there such a thing lol!
No local guys shoot low, I know Gary Bray does the Zapcats from this angle when afloat, looks even better with a long "ish" focal length.
Tri's and cats, nice, chase them in a dinghy and seagull outboard at your peril! defo need a rib for that job.
Will you be able to post on a public forum, would like to see them :)

Boggy said:
Fast, but fuel efficient, is there such a thing lol!
No local guys shoot low, I know Gary Bray does the Zapcats from this angle when afloat, looks even better with a long "ish" focal length.
Tri's and cats, nice, chase them in a dinghy and seagull outboard at your peril! defo need a rib for that job.
Will you be able to post on a public forum, would like to see them :)

Lol. Just looked at his work it's great.

No problem about posting cat photos :)

These are some great pictures Tom :) would love to come out and get a few decent pictures of my own next time your doing a sailing shoot locally :)

Back