UK alternative to Photek Softlighter?

It's neigh on impossible to find these for sale over here, but I do recall from last years focus, another manf. making something similar. Any thoughts?
I've searched long and far and couldn't find anything for a reasonable price either. So now I'm waiting for Trever (Cotswoldphoto) to get front covers for his umbrella line-up.

Yes, pretty much, have used them for a few bits and pieces before.

They do charge quite a bit for postage though.

They have a stand at Focus, but you've missed that.

Please be aware that Viewfinder is the only supplier I know that does the 60" version of the brolly box.

If you want a smaller version, they are much cheaper off Ebay.

Just search for umbrella softbox.

Phottix do one. It's a clone of Paul Buffs version but it's a barn door cheaper and it works a treat.

On my phone at the min so can only link to a Blog post I did...

http://www.alternatepixel.co.uk/blog/2013/1/27/im-impressed

The Phottix stuff comes over from hong Kong but I've had a few things from them and the service and quality is top notch

Think it came in at around £70 delivered for the 60 inch version with the diffuser

Last edited:
Phottix do one. It's a clone of Paul Buffs version but it's a barn door cheaper and it works a treat.

On my phone at the min so can only link to a Blog post I did...

http://www.alternatepixel.co.uk/blog/2013/1/27/im-impressed

The Phottix stuff comes over from hong Kong but I've had a few things from them and the service and quality is top notch

Think it came in at around £70 delivered for the 60 inch version with the diffuser

Impressive size! I'm now interested in getting one!

I came across this old thread while searching for a Softlight supplier in the UK. This on Amazon seems to be similar.

I came across this old thread while searching for a Softlight supplier in the UK. This on Amazon seems to be similar.

I've bought all sorts of cheap lighting stuff in the past.

I've got the Walimex one. It's ok but awkward to get a speedlight far enough back for it to work really effectively. It's better with a studio head. You can't remove the diffuser - and I broke it the third time I used it, just trying to get it set up.

I've also got one of these. It comes with a removable diffuser and ok grid but really needs a boom arm to angle it downwards.

Profoto's 'umbrella deep' is similar but has no grid

I now favour a conventional softbox and sometimes remove the outer diffuser. I find it much more controllable and easier to feather.

If you really want one true modifier to do everything then there are a fair few modifiers with (nearly) parabolic reflectors which can be used in direct or reflective modes.

Back