UK Aurora and Lunar halo

Name
Rich
Had a chance to capture my first ever sighting of the Aurora whilst visiting my sister in Scotland over the xmas period. Not the brightest shot but I was more than happy to see it :).

Aurora skies by evorichie101, on Flickr

Whilst on my travels yesterday I stopped off to get a few pics of one of Wales's most photogenic piers. I could just about make out a faint halo around the moon prior to the shot and luckily my camera managed to capture it too :)

Llandudno Lunar Halo by evorichie101, on Flickr

Thanks Paul. I think I am just off on the top pic after a closer look. How bloomin annoying lol. The bottom one is fine though and I think the angle of the pier leads it to look off

Last edited:
I spotted the halo the other night but didn't get the camera out. It was a bit boring from my garden!
The bottom shot does look slightly off level. Maybe a bit of lens correction if it's got a bit of distortion?
Nice shots though. I'm still to see the aurora here

Cheers :)
Could be a bit of distortion as I manually corrected it as the 14-24 lens does tend to distort the edges of frame quite badly when shooting at low levels

Brilliant set, especially the Aurora, although the Welsh one is a bit special too,

Geoff

Loving those pictures.

This is a very inspiring website.

Thanks guys :)

Thanks Sarah. Im hoping its a bit more prominent than that when I go to Iceland in 6 weeks time :wideyed: lol

I wouldn't worry too much Richie, we went in October, and I think it was just down to bad luck, as the weeks before and after our trip (and ever since) there have been lots of clear sightings.

However if you're anything like we were, not seeing the aurora is a great excuse to make a return visit - it's a spectacular country with so much to see, and so in all honesty not seeing the lights didn't detract from our trip at all :D

We have another trip planned in May to see Puffins and make another attempt at whale watching (the whales hid from us too), but I don't think that'll be our last visit!

I wouldn't worry too much Richie, we went in October, and I think it was just down to bad luck, as the weeks before and after our trip (and ever since) there have been lots of clear sightings.

However if you're anything like we were, not seeing the aurora is a great excuse to make a return visit - it's a spectacular country with so much to see, and so in all honesty not seeing the lights didn't detract from our trip at all :D

We have another trip planned in May to see Puffins and make another attempt at whale watching (the whales hid from us too), but I don't think that'll be our last visit!
Just unlucky then!!! that's a shame, but like you said, its an excuse to re-visit.

I am going out with 11 other people from this forum for 10 days so its purely for photography purposes. Regardless of whether we see the lights or not, im happy to get a chance to sample the amazing scenery :)

Both beautiful shots....I'm envious.

When a grid is layed over them, both horizons are out.

Back