UK camping/caravan hols

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of a last-minute job but looking to go away next week (probably Monday) for up to a week. Caravan would be ideal just to make things easy, but we have camping gear so we can camp and the little one would like that.

We've done IOW, Cardigan, South Coast and Lake District before so really don't mind where we go, but it has to be close or on the beach.

Not fussed about the drive - we're used to long trips and can entertain ourselves from Rugby to wherever - but I draw the line at Scotland :D

Obviously leaving it late it's going to be a case of ringing round until we find availability but if you guys have suggestions of camping/caravan sites that would be great. Me and the missus are looking for relaxation on the beach, maybe a bit of fishing but the 3-year-old will want fun! fun! fun! so things like railways, zoos, aquariums will go down a storm :)

Suggestions if you have them good people of TP :)

Torbay? Beaches, check. Zoos, check. Aquariums, check. Camp/caravan sites, check. Railways, check. Landscapes, check. Mifsuds (if you still want/need to expand the kit!), check! Not too far off the bottom end of the M5 either, although the final drag from the end of the dual carriageway to the destination can be a drag!

East Devon / Dorset.....Jurassic Coast. Stunning.

East Devon / Dorset.....Jurassic Coast. Stunning.

Careful Ruth - that would put you rather close to a certain Porsche fantasist...:p

Pat, Ruth's suggestion is a good one though - possibly a little less kiddy friendly than Torbay but way more beautiful (IMO!)

Not fussed about the drive - we're used to long trips and can entertain ourselves from Rugby to wherever - but I draw the line at Scotland :D

Thank Christ for that. There's enough of you lot up here as it is. Stay south of the wall, you'll be safer.:|

Careful Ruth - that would put you rather close to a certain Porsche fantasist...:p

Pat, Ruth's suggestion is a good one though - possibly a little less kiddy friendly than Torbay but way more beautiful (IMO!)

Don't worry Nod. I'll slip into the region and be gone again before being picked up on radar :LOL:

Cheers all for the suggestions - we ended up with not a massive choice within our budget so plumped for a holiday camp in Brixham. Never been there before, looks nice around the area with lots to do and see, plus it's right on the beach so we can loll around and I can do some fishing :)

If you're into photography and draw the line at Scotland you are "aff yer heid", as they would say up there.

Take your camera up to Glencoe. Plenty of camping/caravan sites and scenery that necessitates a chin guard from all the jaw-dropping you'll be doing.

Don't worry Nod. I'll slip into the region and be gone again before being picked up on radar :LOL:

I shall be heart broken if you don't drop by and say hello - I promise to be good and keep my hands to myself (its too damn hot for any funny business in cars anyway)

Last edited:
I shall be heart broken if you don't drop by and say hello - I promise to be good and keep my hands to myself (its too damn hot for any funny business in cars anyway)

Disappointing, but I'll drop by nonetheless lol :LOL:

Cheers all for the suggestions - we ended up with not a massive choice within our budget so plumped for a holiday camp in Brixham. Never been there before, looks nice around the area with lots to do and see, plus it's right on the beach so we can loll around and I can do some fishing :)

Sorry Pat but for a photographer, cheap and Brixham doesn't work...

MIFSUDS!!!

For a great pub lunch right beside the harbour, I can recommend the Sprat and Mackerel pub. Good sized portions and not over expensive.

The easiest place we've found to park for Mifsuds (sorry, trying to help you spend your money!) is at the top of the hill, leaving the shop on the right. There are a few free spaces up there but you might need to go round the block a few times to catch one vacant.

And paignton zoo , and living coasts :LOL:

They're cheap compared to a 10 minute "nip" into Mifsuds!!!

They're cheap compared to a 10 minute "nip" into Mifsuds!!!

I popped into Brixham for a cream tea with the wife and came away with a 120-300, it's easily done :shrug:

Last edited:
Ha - already scoped Mifsuds out... I just took a 'scenic route' through town, or so I told the missus. It's firmly in my memory :)

She actually said we need to buy a walkabout camera: she had a £50 compact in mind, I have a P7700 in mind ;)

Loving the place - cod and chips last night on the harbour, great day in Torquay today. Tomora is sunbathing then a sneaky fishing session tomorrow evening :)

Summer + Torquay =/= great day!!! We avoid most of the grockle traps during the sunny months, although Torquay isn't too bad in winter!

Enjoy your stay down here Pat (and family).

Stay away from Portland Bill :rules: I was down there last week and ended up in Hospital. You will not go far wrong with any part of that coastline though Pat. If you do decide camping you could try this place Good enough for a base camp, you will then have loads of options left and right of you to explore with the kids. Great place for them to climb about on the rocks and look for fossils, there is Abbotsbury And if the weather is kind which it should be then a short drive up on to Portland to watch the Sunset over either Chesil Beach or Pulpit rock is a must.

Stay away from Portland Bill :rules: I was down there last week and ended up in Hospital. You will not go far wrong with any part of that coastline though Pat. If you do decide camping you could try this place Good enough for a base camp, you will then have loads of options left and right of you to explore with the kids. Great place for them to climb about on the rocks and look for fossils, there is Abbotsbury And if the weather is kind which it should be then a short drive up on to Portland to watch the Sunset over either Chesil Beach or Pulpit rock is a must.

Ha ha - I might take a drive over there, hoping to find a rod left by some geezer who didn't finish his night session on Portland ;)

Ha ha - I might take a drive over there, hoping to find a rod left by some geezer who didn't finish his night session on Portland ;)

Knowing my luck it has a bloody fish on the end of it. Have a great time whatever you decide (y)

Many years ago when we used to go camping, we stayed on that site in very early season. We found a level pitch near the top of the site (everyone else seemed to have headed down as far as possible to be near the beach and pub) and were on our own up there apart from a pair of badgers who came out every evening. Long before I got back into photography and well before digital was a reality too!

Many years ago when we used to go camping, we stayed on that site in very early season. We found a level pitch near the top of the site (everyone else seemed to have headed down as far as possible to be near the beach and pub) and were on our own up there apart from a pair of badgers who came out every evening. Long before I got back into photography and well before digital was a reality too!

And? :LOL: ;)

And... At that time I had hair half way down my back (as in sprouting from me heed - I still have hair down my back but it's only an inch or 2 long!)

Nod - found the sprat & mack....
It's in the process of being renovated but is a nice place. Food was good - fish chowder inside a loaf of bread was worth £11 and the £8 ceasar salad the missus had was good too. Good recommendation :)

Loved Tor Bay - definitely going back. Think its our new seaside favourite :)

Pat, I was taken there by Yv and the Geza late last year. The landlords of the S&M used to run a pub near them up in Lungdung but moved down when (IIRC) their brewery started being chits to them. As you say, good sized portions (I know Jon was expecting more of a bun than a loaf when he had the chowder!) and good prices. Fish is rather fresh too - the market's about 100 yards away!

While the bay isn't too bad this early in the season, it doesn't improve much when it gets busier, with the major problem being the sheer number of cars trying to use the roads. It is good and central to the region though, with Plymouth and Exeter within fairly easy reach as well as the moor.

Pat, if you're still in the area and are planning a trip to Paignton Zoo tomorrow, you might see us there. I'll be wearing a knackered Tilley Hat (stained around the creases and with a TP patch on the front) and will be carrying an X-20 (probably!)

Pat if you're still there, try the fish restaurant at Breakwater Beach (near Lifeboat) - it's great and reasonably priced.

Have spent a lot of time in Brixham - my Wife comes from there and Mifsuds did our wedding photos, more years ago than I care to remember.

Ken

Brixham is lovely- enjoy!

Nod, Ken - alas, work beckoned so we took a slow drive home on Sunday afternoon.

Nod - really liked the zoo. My three-year-old was on animal overload and to nr honest, he couldn't take it all in propey. Very well set up, and loads to see. We did the saver ticket with the Living Coasts centre in Torquay, so it worked out cheaper, about £60 for the three of I'd, which I thought was good value.

next time try to takein Dartmoor zoo - near Plymouth as well - great ditch and bank enclosures so theres no glass between you and the lions, tigers, and bears ... oh my :LOL:

:plus1: for Dartmoor Wildlife Park (as featured in We Bought a Zoo). Not as easy to get to as Paignton but well worth a visit if you're looking for summat to do!

We had a good day at Paignton on Wednesday despite the rather dreary weather (fairly constant mizzle) - had a re-visit ticket to use by today and Wednesday was better for us since SWMBO had to teach at sparrowfart so we were up and ready for an earlyish start. (Fridays are her day off - no classes and no need to open/close the studio for other teachers - so are a guaranteed lie-in morning for her!)

Back