UK Open Learning Photography Dipolma

Edit My Images
No
Hello all,

I was wondering if any one can help me. I started the above course a few months back (Please see link http://www.uk-open-learning.com/CartV3/Details.asp?ProductID=549)
and have to say I am sadly disappointed in it, unfortunately they only give you 7 days from the date of purchase to return the course material.

Has anyone else does this course? How are you finding it?

I've got half way though and the spelling and grammar is appalling (with words spelt in the American way, which I find interesting from someone called UK Open Learning!) the last section about making appointments for portraits sessions had the following paragraph:

"Men should have a haircut and look sharp, but the haircut should be a day or two old. Uniforms should be pressed and well fitted with all awards, grade, and rating insignia properly placed. A chart of military awards and decorations is helpful in settling differences regarding the proper placement of ribbons and metals"

What on earth?!?!?

I feel I have been very mislead by the course overview (shown on the link above) to what I have actually received. It states that it is for both film and digital users yet, I have yet to come across anything for the digital photographer and lots about different film types and what is appropriate for them with regards to the section subject.

The support I have received from my personal tutor is disgraceful. I recently asked about an assignment question as again it was badly worded and I was unsure of what the assignment was asking of me and what I was learning from doing this exercise. Two days after sending my e-mail I received a 10 word reply!

I am on the verge of writing to complain so I was just wondering if anyone here had had any simpler experiences of this company?

Many thanks
R

Complain, Demand money back and most of all (because I think you will need it getting any joy) Good Luck

I think you've bought badly but TBH I think you've brought it on yourself.

Reading through the blurb, they seem to promise everything but are very vague about what you'll actually learn.

They say that they provide a recognised qualification but in reality the only recognised qualifications are degrees, HND or HNC. And I didn't see any info about who actually teaches the course, which is yet another warning sign. Buying a course run by unknown teachers is a pretty risky thing to do IMO.

By way of comparison, I sell my Professional Photography Manual (about how to run a successful photography business) for £19.95. No techi info about photography, I assume that people who want to be pro photographers know the basics.
Or, for £39.90 you can get my complete set of tutorials (including the Professional Photography Manual). Reading through my complete set won't make you into a photographer and nor will the course you paid so much more for. All that any written course can do is to provide the info you need with which to learn.

To be honest, there isn't a great deal of difference between film and digital photography (although there should definately be info about PP work, the importance of sensor size and the relevance of pixel count etc) so I don't think you have a lot to complain about as far as the digital side goes.

To summarise, I think you may have wasted your money but maybe you should have read between the lines a bit before you paid your money.

These courses are always a bit of a mine field, you seem to have been unfortunate in the one you chose - good luck getting your money back!

It is, perhaps worth remembering that, if there is a good tutorial system, they only make money from the people who don't finish the course. If everyone completed the course prices would rise steeply! That's not cynicism incidentally, I use to produce a range of 'distance learning' courses and the drop out rate is built into the pricing.

One range of courses I can recommend is that produced by Amateur Photographer magazine. The course literature isn't too great but you work through a series of projects, each portfolio is helpfully criticised by a good experienced tutor. I had Gary McNamara when I did my course and it extended my photographic horizons greatly.

You also get a range of freebies and offers which slightly offset the course price - Photoshop CD at student rate for example.

The course diploma has no formal standing but would be favourably considered if you were to apply for a college course.

Back