UK or USA?

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys, I go to America on Tuesday and thinking of getting a UV filter for my lens and maybe a new strap, The question is do I get them there and will they be cheaper or am I better off picking one up at WEX? the pro of getting one here is that I don't have to look around New York for a photography shop to find one.Thanks

Be sure to check B&H before setting off, it's a Jewish family run company still and thus it has awkward opening hours.

i.e. it closes on Saturdays.

I once went and it was closed all week for some Jewish holiday that i never knew existed.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/HelpCenter/HoursOfOperation.jsp

LmMwltj.png

Last edited:
You have to check the price and then add tax to that.

What wave said.
Unlike the UK the tax is added at the point of sale.

Thanks for the info I think I'll just grab one in jessops to save hassle the other end. Yeh the tax thing is unusual I have traveled the states a couple of times and its always a bit of a headache!I just add 20% overall every state then when its less I feel like I have got a better deal :LOL:

What an odd system

I know, it's like buying from a trade counter in the UK where they add VAT at the point of sale.
It's been a while since I visited the USA and it surprised me at first.

With the current exchang rate there will not be much difference in price but with all those goodies you may be tempted and a lot poorer when you leave!

After visiting the jessops local to me I decided to wait till New York and visit b&h as it seems cheaper anyway unless it’s jessops own brand filters.

Last edited:
US and Canada always used to seem cheap but those days have gone pretty much I think. Bit of their prices going up and the exchange rate shifting.

Just back from NYC from a family holiday week ago and been to B&H
In my humble opinion it’s all a big hype like any other American stuff (yes I lived and worked in the USA for over 5 years). Things have changed hugely and I have been seeing these changes gradually over the years. After adding tax it’s barely much difference especially that the pound is now a bit weaker. I bought a brand new peak design V3 capture camera clip for £59.50 after conversion and it’s £49 at Wex :-(
You do the math [emoji4]

You definitely have to be selective when buying over there now as its not the majority thats cheaper anymore but there is still bargains to be had in some cases.

Here's a thought.
Donald Trump has put a tax levy of 25% on imported UK steel.
Don't buy from a company in the USA as the sales tax goes to their government.
I apologise in advance for taking this off topic but a recent conversation reminded me about this thread.

There is no national government sales tax in the US. Sales taxes are levied by most (but not all) states and locally by cities etc. See my link above for the details of the NYC tax.

Last edited:
Back