UK Server Costs!

Well... Thanks to this thread, I've just ordered one of these: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/minivps-4-40-7-month-2gb-openvz-in-maidenhead-uk/

The "problem" with OpenVZ appears to be it is easy to oversell, but we'll see how that goes and it's not exactly difficult (although it may be time consuming) to move. Having said that, I can run an awful lot on 2G/25G/400G and if truth be known, I only want it for a root prompt "out there".

Something for the weekend sir...? ;)

These unlimited and unmetered accounts are often not really unlimited - if you go beyond what they're comfortable with they may start speed limiting your account or simply tell you to sling your hook and deactivate your account.

These unlimited and unmetered accounts are often not really unlimited - if you go beyond what they're comfortable with they may start speed limiting your account or simply tell you to sling your hook and deactivate your account.
We know that ;) however the bit that I'm generally interested in is "not limited to one or two", which what many of the less contended sites are.

If I were running TP for instance, I wouldn't dream of running it from a £3.30/month account. On the other hand, if I want 10's of mini-sites that have very limited traffic as I haven't fully developed them, I wouldn't run them out of a server package that only offers 3 MySQL databases, one domain name and a handful of e-mail addresses.

Again, I've wanted a VPS, just never been willing to pay for one I have to work extremely hard to get working as it has a very limited set of memory and costs >£10/month (and normally closer to £20/month). I've just picked one up that'll let me play for < £5/month.

Different requirements have different solutions.

Depends what you use it for and how reliable you want it to be - if I was just using it to host a few pics I wouldn't be wanting a dedicated or VPS.
It's not only large companies that want the flexibility of a server.
We are not a large company & the £50/month we pay for a dedicated virtual private server is money well spent. I am an experienced UNIX administrator so managing the system is straightforward. The speed of the system versus shared hosting is the main reason that we moved. We host websites & do web development. However it's different strokes for different folks & I wouldn't dream of hosting video when a Vimeo Pro account does a much better job of it nor do I bother with hosting our mail accounts when GoDaddy or Gradwell can look after that side of it so that I am not bothered with fighting spam or managing a mail server.

Well... Thanks to this thread, I've just ordered one of these: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/minivps-4-40-7-month-2gb-openvz-in-maidenhead-uk/

The "problem" with OpenVZ appears to be it is easy to oversell, but we'll see how that goes and it's not exactly difficult (although it may be time consuming) to move. Having said that, I can run an awful lot on 2G/25G/400G and if truth be known, I only want it for a root prompt "out there".

Something for the weekend sir...? ;)

i've been looking at LEB for a few months, been thinking of getting a cheapy deal and learning

I only want it for a root prompt "out there".

Since I administer half a dozen servers that are "out there", I have all the root shells I could ever wish for.

Functionally, they offer no more than the raspberry pi running debian just by my left hand, although the connections they have are obviously faster than ADSL.

Functionally, they offer no more than the raspberry pi running debian just by my left hand
The key thing for me is it is a root prompt on the far side of my router - nothing more, nothing less. I have root prompts galore here too....

It is, however, nice and fast (at the moment). Will see what MySQL and PHP is like...

Ahhh.

On looking at the A&A Home::1 package, it seems I could get the package I'm on for £60/month (£25 Home::1, £15 80/20 FTTC, £20 for 250G down/month). It comes with 1 static IP and a /48 IPv6. So... just about the same as me (I pay £55) but I have no limits....

Fair enough - that's more like it (but why lumber yourself with download limits if you don't have to ;))

I'll probably switch to the Home::1 package @ £40/month for 80/20 FTTC when FTTC is enabled on my cabinet (still another 3 and a half months according to BT's checker), as there is less risk of eating up the "units" of data if I accidently download during peak hours. My main worry about an "unlimited" service is that I could end up subsidising people who download HUGE amounts of data :eek:

Back