UK's largest hoverfly?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Frightened the life out of me when I saw this on a leaf in the garden, first instinct was to grab the camera off the tripod and try and get some images, no scope to change the angle due to where it has settled.

I think it is Volucella zonaria, I had to look it up, looks like a hornet but softer if that makes sense and about the same size about an inch long, could only just get it in the view finder, this is not cropped.

Large Hoverfly by Mark2703, on Flickr

In my limited experience that looks to be perfection, focus , colour, everything about it, fantastic picture.

Thanks chaps, as no one had commented on it I thought it was obviously just a run of the mill picture. When I first got it on the screen from the camera I think my jaw hit the desk with how clear and rich it was.

Great shot, love the colours you captured :)
What settings did you use??

Cheers Paul, manual settings 125ss, f/20. iso 100 and on board flash with diffuser and unusually a bright sun to my left ;)

Its a good shot.

Have seen these on a few occasions, and when they are flying around their size is quite imposing - as you say they are very hornet like.

Stephen

Thanks Guys, appreciate the comments, Joe I am not sure, having just acquired a macro lens I may have to go try :)

Back