Critique Ullswater

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
I've always preferred B&W photography. I understand it more than colour. But recently I've been playing on my iPad processing a few old photos. I make no apologies the lack of reality but would really appreciate your constructive comments.

IMG_0354.jpg

I quite like the pp on this, a little soft maybe, but I like it. It kind of has that ‘oil painting’ look.

I quite like the pp on this, a little soft maybe, but I like it. It kind of has that ‘oil painting’ look.
The softness is due to the lens, an Olympus plastic 15mm body cap lens mounted on an Olympus E-PM2. The image was processed entirely on an iPad using Lightroom, Distressed FX+ and Snapseed.

Most of the editing was done within Distressed FX+ with multiple overlays and textures being selectively applied.

Here‘s the original.

60CB2632-FAC5-43F4-B0E8-7D31BD0C2203.jpeg

Not for me Im afraid and the original is out of focus -sorry

Les :(

Not for me Im afraid and the original is out of focus -sorry
I thought the pp might incite a Marmite reaction especially when done to that extent. The original is in focus - it's just soft. This lens is in the bottom 5 of all the lenses DXOMark have tested.

I thought the pp might incite a Marmite reaction especially when done to that extent. The original is in focus - it's just soft. This lens is in the bottom 5 of all the lenses DXOMark have tested.

Its out of focus then surely- but hey what do I know :)

Les

I've always preferred B&W photography. I understand it more than colour. But recently I've been playing on my iPad processing a few old photos. I make no apologies the lack of reality but would really appreciate your constructive comments.

View attachment 316335
I really like this one, Adrian. It strongly reminds me of classic paintings I have seen in many galleries, but right now, the best fit I can find in terms of the type of landscape and image style is Tom Thompson, one fo the members of the Group of Seven. It is not a great fit and I know I saw a better fit. Turner's early landscapes (before he moved on to his travel images and seascapes) also come to mind, but these images do not have the ruggedness depicted here. I like the colours, the lighting. Somebody mentioned lack of sharpness. I think that in this type of work, sharpness would detract from the painterly feel, which I think that you wish to create. Your work is so good I am almost tempted to try it too. Please do stay with this. This is fascinating.

IMHO - I prefer the original but that may just be me as I am not a lover of PP. Great composure and I like the lighting. Reminds me of trips to the Lake District so it works for me..:)

I like them both, It's always interesting rediscovering old pictures and enhancing or bringing out other aspects, especially as our own view of it changes over time.
There is a real warmth to the edited image and it does look painterly. My only comment would be the colour range may be a bit too broad, and reducing the palette slightly would give a slightly better overall harmony.
Thanks for sharing.

Back