Ultra wide angle lenses

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I want to add an ultra wide angle lens to my set, this will be my last lens. I specifically want one with wider aperture as it will be mainly for low light conditions such as wide field astro photos. The 2 I am considering are the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 and the Samyang 10mm F/2.8
I am a little more tempted by the Tokina, even though it is a bit more expensive, as it does give me a bit more range and it does have auto as well as manual focus, whereas the Samyang is manual only.
I have read mixed reviews about the Tokina and one thing that concerns me is a lot of them say it's a good lens apart from the chromatic aberration and vignetting, I have not found any reviews on the Samyang.
There are probably more expensive options but considering it is not a lens I will use that often I don't really want to spend to much on it.
Has anyone here had any experience with either of these, if so what are your opinions, is the CA and vignetting really that much of an issue?
Cheers.

FF or crop? For FF, you could also consider the Sigma 12-24 - pretty much as wide as you can get without going fisheye (for which you could look at the Sigma 8mm for AF and auto aperture, the Samyang is manual both on Canon but does do aperture control on Nikon IIRC). Not as fast as the Tokina but extremely well corrected for distortion (although the perspective is pretty extreme but that's down to physics not distortion!) The Sigma 10-20 would be another option for crop and is fully automatic. Keep your eyes open for 2nd hand examples of all the options, then you'll be able to sell whatever you end up with on if you decide UWA isn't your bag after all.

Thanks for your advice Nod, I shall keep an eye out for second hand ones. It's for a crop (Canon 70D) I would much prefer having the option to have manual as well as auto focus so it does look like the Tokina might be the best option, as you say, if i can get a cheap second had one it wont matter so much if the CA and vignetting are really bad.

Have you tried the "IRIX" lens, they are new in town and do a 15mm 2.4 and are bring out a 11mm soon, With the 15mm, there are 2 models, one is all weather sealed and alloy metal body and the other is a well made plastic body, both do have the same glass though.
The "Firefly" is the plastic one and starts at £360 new and £560 "Blackstone" I think for the weather sealed one on EBAY
They do come in Canon fit.
Search Flickr for some photos.
I have this lens "Firefly" and I think its a well built lens, If shooting directly ahead there is little distortion if any, vignetting is very minimal as well, both have a 95mm filter thread.
Heres 2 from this lens.
The watcher.JPG Resto reworked.JPG

Thanks for your advice Nod, I shall keep an eye out for second hand ones. It's for a crop (Canon 70D) I would much prefer having the option to have manual as well as auto focus so it does look like the Tokina might be the best option, as you say, if i can get a cheap second had one it wont matter so much if the CA and vignetting are really bad.

Pretty sure that all AF lenses can be manually focussed as/when required. CA and vignetting are both fairly easily corrected in PP, although they're best avoided if possible. At a guess, Nikon crop sensors will vignette with lenses that don't cause the problem (or cause it to a lesser extent, anyway) on Canon crop bodies.

For the money the canon 10-18mm is very good value and a sharp little lens, it's not weather sealed or constant 2.8 but I have been very pleased with its performance for the money. It does suffer from flare in direct sunlight but as long as you use the hood it's not a problem.

is the CA and vignetting really that much of an issue?

I have the Tokina and its no worse than others wide open re CA, and as I generally add a vignette I wouldn't worry about that either. Its not great at any aperture at the edge, but that doesn't bother me with my subjects either

This was taken on it

Wind turbines-merge 1 1 WEB TP
by DG Phototraining on Talk Photography

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks all, I am pretty much decided on the Tokina now., I looked at the Canon 10-18mm but it says it is F/4.5 and I am dead set on having F/2.8 as it will be mainly for night time photography and I think that will give me a slight advantage.

I owned a Canon 10-22mm a while back which was excellent, sharp as a tack but obviously lacking a wide enough aperture for your needs!

Can't speak highly enough of the Tokina 11-16mm though, I hired one for a two week holiday and loved it. Yes, there was some lens flare when facing the sun, but nothing that would make me avoid the lens completely. Would definitely put my money on one if I had more of a use for it on a daily basis.

I got a second had one on eBay, paid £227 for it, if it is in good condition I think that's a good price. Bit annoyed that I asked the seller if it came with a lens hood, to which he replied yes, and then after I got a message saying it was dispatched he contacts me to say he was packing it and realized it did not have a lens hood. He has offered to refund me £10 to go towards a lens hood, and I found some cheapo one for 8 quid that says it will fit.

Back