Ultra Wide lenses for Nikon FX cameras

Name
Geoff Blackmore
Edit My Images
Yes
As an avid photographer I have used an 8mm Fisheye on old DX cameras unfortunately I have upgraded to FX so now have a conventional fisheye rather than a ultra wide with a Peculiar perspective. I am obviously now trying to workout where to go with my need for new lenses. I don't think I need to go down to 12mm, but I do like the look of the 17-35 and 18-35mm obviously f2.8 is nice. Currently I have the old D lenses from 35mm - 200mm covered at f2.8 because I often shoot later in the evening. Any suggestions and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I use an Irix 15mm f2.4 on my D750 and love what it can do.
It's a manual focus lens but has 'rectilinear correction'(?) so you can get natural verticals rather than the distortion you see from non-corrected lenses. Some samples from my Flickr album ...

Flickr Album

Thanks for the advice Gramps that's similar to the perspective I used to get with my Samyang 8mm when on my old D50 through to my D90.
I have a collection of Church interiors and exteriors and that's the one thing I am unable to do at present as religious architecture is a thing common across Europe with many variations by regions within the countys and country's. I also love the perspective in many urban scenes remeniscent of you pics of canal basins and Docks.

The Sigma 8mm fisheye gives a full 180°field of view as a circular image on FF. Their 12-24 UWA zoom gives a very well corrected (as far as rectilinear distortion goes) image but there are reports of dodgy examples so try before you buy.

I have a collection of Church interiors and exteriors and that's the one thing I am unable to do at present

I have a feeling (one of my golf buddies works at the local cathedral) that they'll be open pretty soon.

I've had the lot and the only two decent UWA I have found are

1, The Nikkor 20mm F1.8
2. The 14-24 F2.8

The 16-35 distorts hilariously and just isn't as nice a rendering as the above two. It's absymally soft in the corner's and the above two are nothing to write home about in this regard anyway. If you can live with the widest lens being 20mm the 20mm F1.8 prime is the best one IMHO.

Thanks for the advice looks like I will have to have short arms and long pockets for quite a while, unless I can find a a decent irix Blackstone or Firefly going cheap and resorting to manual focus, which currently is a problem as my eyes now need bifocals.

I've been using a 17mm Tamron AD2 lens for a few years. I used to have the Samyang 14mm which is wide but huge!. The 17mm is compact and works for most of my needs...

Iron Bridge from Lower North Street Exeter DSC00524.jpg

These are great suggestions my old 8mm was the samyang and always in focus obviously the 14 mm sounds good and almost would give me the same angles I got from my 8mm on my D90 without the quirks of a Rectineal Fisheye (I do like the fisheye effect it now gives on my FX camera). Love the look of the Iornbridge, all those lovely struts.

Back