Umbrella adapters for the SB900

what I was gonna recommend. These ones look the mutt's,

I've got some of these and believe me, they're not. One of the ones I have had the screw holding the coldshoe on pull straight out of the top, just as well there wasn't £300 worth of flashgun on top at the time....

The ones I'd recommend are these Manfrotto 026 copies from Calumet at £19.99 or best offer, compared with £30 for the Manfrotto version. I've got both and quality-wise can't tell them apart.

The only downside is that you'll need a couple of coldshoe clamps, but I'm sure there's someone around here who could help you out there :whistle: :LOL:

I've got some of these and believe me, they're not. One of the ones I have had the screw holding the coldshoe on pull straight out of the top, just as well there wasn't £300 worth of flashgun on top at the time....

Interesting. I have a couple of those and they have worked well for me. But months of my happiness with a £10 buy wouldn't make up for a single minute of your upset if it made you smash a flash.

Those Calumet ones look very good. I have a genuine Manfrotto one and it's very good indeed - Calumet knockoffs are generally so close I can't believe they don't get sued. Only issue is when everything is tightened up, the flash points slightly to the side because of the thread on the spiggot. Of course you can swivel it but it's mildly annoying.

Interesting. I have a couple of those and they have worked well for me. But months of my happiness with a £10 buy wouldn't make up for a single minute of your upset if it made you smash a flash.

It all depends on how much you value your flashgun, I suppose :shrug:

The ones I'd recommend are these Manfrotto 026 copies from Calumet at £19.99 or best offer, compared with £30 for the Manfrotto version. I've got both and quality-wise can't tell them apart.

The only downside is that you'll need a couple of coldshoe clamps, but I'm sure there's someone around here who could help you out there :whistle: :LOL:

So you may as well get the Calumet ones in the OP as they already have the coldshoe integral to the unit.
I bought the ones you mention and have to use the clip-on 'foot' that the SB900 comes supplied with - works OK but looks cobby as fcuk...

Thanks to the OP for posting that link - I just ordered four of them sight unseen.

Oh and I'll be flogging the other ones soon, so watch the classifieds.

So you may as well get the Calumet ones in the OP as they already have the coldshoe integral to the unit.
I bought the ones you mention and have to use the clip-on 'foot' that the SB900 comes supplied with - works OK but looks cobby as fcuk...

Thanks to the OP for posting that link - I just ordered four of them sight unseen.

You don't have to use the plastic stand, you could buy a coldshoe for it ;)

FYI those Calumet ones in the first link are okay, they're the same as the ones I was selling for a tenner :D

FYI those Calumet ones in the first link are okay, they're the same as the ones I was selling for a tenner :D

aye, coldshoes are the way forward :)
cheers for the heads up re: the cotswold photo ones... already got one of the calumetfrotto ones and they're dead sturdy, will get some of them instead.

Sure I could but it's something extra to buy, thus partially negating any cost savings made by buying the cheaper model nicht war...?

so do i need one of these or just a cold shoe that connect to a stand?

You can connect the coldshoe direct to the top of the stand (assuming it has a thread atop), but it would mean that you have not way to angle the flash, short of getting someone to physically lift the stand.

I've got some of these and believe me, they're not. One of the ones I have had the screw holding the coldshoe on pull straight out of the top, just as well there wasn't £300 worth of flashgun on top at the time...

So, if I read this right, you have bought some of these from that eBay seller and the screw in the cold shoe pulled straight out????

Or did I read that wrong?

Calumet ones arrived a few days ago, worth the money.

They have a decent weight and feel like a quality build. It holds the SB900 great and I have no fear of it breaking :)

So, if I read this right, you have bought some of these from that eBay seller and the screw in the cold shoe pulled straight out????

Or did I read that wrong?

Correct, you read it wrong. I bought them from the same wholesaler that you did, after realising how poor they were I decided not to sell them.

Last edited:
But it was the screw in the cold shoe that came out? Because we had those made for us in a different factory (not happy with the ones that came with it, so we asked the US seller of the same item where they got them from and used them instead). I asked because we have sold literally thousands of them. There are quite a few factories making what appears to be an identical item, but in fact is not. Thanks for clearing that up anyway. Got me worried there.

Last edited:
We use Lastolite tri-connectors at work, I couldnt help you with a price, but theyre bloody brilliant.

But it was the screw in the cold shoe that came out? Because we had those made for us in a different factory (not happy with the ones that came with it, so we asked the US seller of the same item where they got them from and used them instead).

You bought "thousands" of a cheap Chinese product and dismantled each one and replaced a small, internal, component with a custom made one? I have to take my hat off to you in that case, although I'm surprised you left the plastic coldshoe on the other version you sell, as that component is of an equally poor quality :)

Last edited:
Back