Beginner Umbrella Softbox Advise

Name
Eshan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

Following from my last post, I have (with your help and advise) ordered myself a Godox TT685S flash and trigger kit.

As stated previously I mainly shoot for leisure, kids, family, etc. but would like to concentrate more on portraits.

After watching a video on YouTube the chap had this umbrella softbox and was using the same flash and camera set up.

Can you good folk let me know if this is worth buying, or if anyone can recommend something similar within the same sort of budget that would be really great.

I know that if you buy cheap you buy twice however being the only bread earner, disposable income is not that great and therefore baby steps for the time being.

Thanks In Advance.

Last edited:
It seems to be good value for money. The firm that actually makes it isn't the best, but the quality of the diffuser isn't too bad and frankly you'd have to spend a lot more to get any real improvement in terms of results.

It seems to be good value for money. The firm that actually makes it isn't the best, but the quality of the diffuser isn't too bad and frankly you'd have to spend a lot more to get any real improvement in terms of results.

Hi Garry,

I know it's not the best, but it's what I can afford at this present time. Unfortunately most of the decent stuff seems to be 3X the cost.

Is Interfit any good as a company, as I see they have something similar.

I think this will also give me enough time to try it all out and see if portraiture is really for me and if not I haven't dented the old wallet too much.

Last edited:
Hi Eshan,

I shoot the same, and one think I would say is get an umbrella softbox where the flash fits at the back as opposed to inside.

It is easier to adjust if needed and setup, think you may have bought the triggers which allows to wireless adjust the flash settings so you may be okay.

I would however look for something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-Bowe...nt=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-563086913928&psc=1

And

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Umbrella-O..._r=T95K8VCFES68GHBC8RS5&qid=1570681668&sr=8-4

I started off with something similar and in the end have also purchased two lencarta flash head kits and am happy with them too.

Last edited:
Hi Eshan,

I shoot the same, and one think I would say is get an umbrella softbox where the flash fits at the back as opposed to inside.
Softboxes where the flash sits at the back are designed for flashes with bare bulbs, if you put a speedlight in one, you get a hotspot.
As Garry said, this umbrella box will give decent results with a speedlight, and the only way to improve on it is a much better soft box (with a bare bulb flash).
to the OP : I have a similar brolly, it’ll not last forever, but it’s about the best ‘bang for your buck’.

Hi Eshan,

It is easier to adjust if needed and setup, think you may have bought the triggers which allows to wireless adjust the flash settings so you may be okay.

On the video I watched, the flash head was inside the diffuser and the body outside. I'm sure you would still be able to control the flash via the trigger anyhow.

to the OP : I have a similar brolly, it’ll not last forever, but it’s about the best ‘bang for your buck’.

Hi Phil,

At £20, I don't expect it to last. If it gives a year's use I'll be happy. Hopefully would have saved up enough by then for an AD200 and a decent modifier.

p.s. Didn't know about the bare bulb flash thing. "Like they say Everyday is a school day"

Thanks.

Last edited:
If these umbrellas are generic made in China with a logo added, would this then be a better option price wise?

If these umbrellas are generic made in China with a logo added, would this then be a better option price wise?
It is probably ok, but they seem to be asking for escrew payment - and most escrew sites are fraudulent...

Back