Umbrellas bounce or through?

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
My umbrella that goes with my newly purchased studio flash is white.
How do I know whether it is to be shot through or reflected back?

I used to think that white were for shooting through and silver were for reflecting back........but I recently saw white ones which said you could do both. :thinking:

Barry says it depends whether you want to keep the rain off the flash head or not :naughty:

Apparently you can use it either way, he sets it up and I take the photos..s'easy really ;)

I expect he'll be online in a mo to tell you properly what's what :thinking:

I think you can use it for either.

You can use them either through or bounced back....

In a bounced setup it gives a very soft delicate light but quite a bit of light goes through the umbrella and is wasted. By turning it around and shooting the light through the umbrella it gives a wonderful soft diffused light similar to a softbox (but a bit more directional) or window light.

Don't forget to use that meter....... ;)

I have sold that meter so I could buy the lighting/studio stuff! :shrug:

Working off the histogram is far quicker and easier than setting up with a meter anyway. :)

As for the brolleys, try it both ways round and see which you prefer. It may even be that is looks pretty similar anyway.

There really aren't any hard and fast rules about how you should use lighting equipment. Except perhaps keep it dry when it's plugged in. ;) Just try as much weird and daft stuff with it as you can. Some things may look really good, maybe they wont but you'll be learning either way.

Thanks guys. I did my first portrait session a week ago.........I didnt have the studio lights etc then...so I had my sigma 500 super flash on a tripod at the side..triggered by the onboard flash of the Canon 350d.

Bear in mind I had absolutely NO practice as no-one here would sit for me...so I went in blind (so to speak!)

Here are the best of the shoot.............. not toooo much critisism please...I know there are things wrong... but the parents love 'em and are ordering lots! ;)

There was me, worried to death beforehand about what poses to use.........I didnt say a word.........they just did all these themselves and I just took the pictures!! (y)

LOOK HERE

Janice, I love them!
What wonderful models.........sometimes kids can be such hard work, but these just love the camera and the camera loves them. You should be really proud of yourself. I don't know enough to offer any critique, but my advice would definately be keep going!!:clap: :clap:

Absolutely Brilliant. You should give yourself a big pat on the back!

You should give yourself a big pat on the back!

...I often get one of those when Im milking a cow!! LOL :naughty:

sorry..couldnt resist that oldie but goody!

Thank you folks for your comments....seems Im going in the right direction then. (y)

Those photos are great Janice, and I'm glad the parents decided to get the shots even with the little girls teeth missing, as it makes these shots unique as she will probably have her teeth from now on.

Well done (y)

She kept her mouth gently closed in most of them!

The one where you can see the gap was right at the start.... her brother f**rted and they both collapsed laughing!! LOL :D

nothing wrong with those Janice, excellent

Janice those are lovely shots! Very similar to the sort of work that a friend of mine does - very relaxed and natural on the basis that people photograph best when they are "doing their own thing"!

Well done!

absolutely gorgeous shots Janice...what charming children too! Love the one of the girl standing on her brother ;)

Absolutely gorgeous! Well done!

Thank you everyone. It means a hell of a lot to hear that they are ok from you guys. (y)

Back