Unable to charge Note 8 (Wire)

Name
Anonymous
Edit My Images
Yes
I've noticed as of late that I can't seem to charge my phone via the wire. Normally when you insert the cable, their is some kind of "click" sound or a feeling that you know its in but I don't get that plus the connector doesn't seem to sit in. Technically the phone does charge but at a reduced rate (Like I'm using a 1 amp plug). The phone even comes up with a message saying it will slow charge. I can't imagine how I've damaged it as I usually use my wireless charger. I only use the wired charger if im out (Power bank) or if im need of a quick charge (Which are rare instances). I'm using the wireless charger to charge it and thankfully it lasts well but that charger is painfully slow. It usually takes over 6 hours to fully charge the phone. I do it over night so its not a big deal. Although If im out and about, I can't use my power banks properly as the connector doesn't in the phone properly and even if I hold it in there, it'll charge really slowly.

I went to a phone shop and the guy said he'd clean it for £20 although I passed as I used a blow tool and mini brush to clean the inside of the port so at the time I just thought why bother paying him when I just did it at home myself.

Help !

Assuming that the cable and plug are the originals that came with the device then I would suspect a software issue.

Have you checked your battery settings to see if "fast charge" is enabled?

With software updates it's easy for this setting to become unchecked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed as of late that I can't seem to charge my phone via the wire. Normally when you insert the cable, their is some kind of "click" sound or a feeling that you know its in but I don't get that plus the connector doesn't seem to sit in. Technically the phone does charge but at a reduced rate (Like I'm using a 1 amp plug). The phone even comes up with a message saying it will slow charge. I can't imagine how I've damaged it as I usually use my wireless charger. I only use the wired charger if im out (Power bank) or if im need of a quick charge (Which are rare instances). I'm using the wireless charger to charge it and thankfully it lasts well but that charger is painfully slow. It usually takes over 6 hours to fully charge the phone. I do it over night so its not a big deal. Although If im out and about, I can't use my power banks properly as the connector doesn't in the phone properly and even if I hold it in there, it'll charge really slowly.

I went to a phone shop and the guy said he'd clean it for £20 although I passed as I used a blow tool and mini brush to clean the inside of the port so at the time I just thought why bother paying him when I just did it at home myself.

Help !

Take a toothpick (or something similar) and check for/clean out the compacted fluff/dust in the charging port, it’s a fairly common problem and easily cleaned.

I've tried all of all above. I've used those blow tools used to clean the internals of a camera as well. I can't see it being a software issue as I can tell the cable isn't going in as it should be which leads me to think it's the phone which has the issue. I've tried other cables and even those adapters.

I've tried all of all above. I've used those blow tools used to clean the internals of a camera as well. I can't see it being a software issue as I can tell the cable isn't going in as it should be which leads me to think it's the phone which has the issue. I've tried other cables and even those adapters.

Check your battery settings anyway as you have to rule out all possibilities

If the charger isn’t going in properly it’s extremely likely you’ve got compacted fluff, I’ve seen some phones that have taken a steel spike and compressed air to dislodge it, if you aren’t confident in doing it it might be worth paying for it to be cleaned, but £20 is extortionate, £5-£10 is more normal.

Isnt the Note 8 compatible with fast wireless chargers? Shouldn't take 6hrs.

Isnt the Note 8 compatible with fast wireless chargers? Shouldn't take 6hrs.
It is which is why I suggested checking the battery settings.
I have seen it countless times on Samsung where they roll out updates and it reverts settings back to default.

It may not be the issue but for the few seconds it would take to make sure fast charging is enabled it is worth it

I don't have a fast wireless charger hence the slow charge times. Mine is one of those first gen type chargers. The wired charger I use is the one supplied in the box. I delved into the settings and fast charging is enabled.

I'll look into the cleaning. The guy did mention he wouldn't charge if it didn't clean.

I don't have a fast wireless charger hence the slow charge times. Mine is one of those first gen type chargers. The wired charger I use is the one supplied in the box. I delved into the settings and fast charging is enabled.

I'll look into the cleaning. The guy did mention he wouldn't charge if it didn't clean.

I’ve cleaned a number of Samsungs with exactly the issue, the charger stops about 1mm short of full insertion and the charging is slower or intermittent.

I usually start with a wooden toothpick and move up to a thin steel spike if required, though as I said, if you aren’t confident let someone do it for you.

Back