Unable to parse JPEG data. What does that mean?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to create a 20 shot 360 degree panorama using Microsoft ICE. Pano creates nicely and I save it as normal. When I try to open it in CS5 I get an error message to the effect the "Photoshop cannot parse the jpeg data". Can anyone explain what that means, please?

Usually that the file is corrupt. Can it be opened with anything else other than Photoshop? Are there any options that you can vary when saving the JPEG out of MS ICE?

I can view it in Windows media player and Faststone no problem. It's happened more than once but only with the really big panos - 20 shots at a time, so the files will be very long and narrow.

How big are the files.. both pixel dimensions, and file size on disc?

I've had this problem before and what fixed it for me was to open the file in another application. In my case this was Preview on my MAC. I then exported the file as a JPG and CS6 opened it OK after that.

Not sure what you can use if you're Windows based though.

Thanks guys for your interest in this.

The file sizes are quite curious. When I create the pano in Microsoft ICE the size of the JPEG created is 39424 x 5913 pixels and overall is 23.7 MB.

If I create the same pano in CS5 the document is saved as a large document PSB file. This is 38181 x 4132 pixels and overall is 1.17GB.

Obviously the PSB opens quite normally in CS5 but the JPEG doesn't. The only alternative viewer I have is Faststone, but this doesn't recognise the PSB file.

Is this a problem purely down to the size of the pano that CS5 cannot handle?

According to this page your file is 'tiny', it says 300,000px longest side and in the Exabyte size http://forums.adobe.com/thread/676203

I wonder if the jpeg that MS ICE is creating is in some manner non standard.................i.e. PS conforms to the standard but the likes of Faststone will open anything ;)

Thanks again for the help and pointers.

I'm not the most tech savvy guy, but I've been doing a bit of digging which may be incorrect, but this is what I've found so far....

CSx will open big files. Microsoft ICE creates normal JPEG files. But there is an imbalance here. CSx will only open big files of a PSB format. I can't find too much about this, but it looks like it stands for Photo Shop Big. As far as I can tell Photoshop is the only programme that creates these files, and the only programme that reads them. It seems to be an internal Adobe process for creating and managing large files - over 30,000 pixels in any direction. My large panos are automatically saved as PSB if I create them in CS5, not JPEG, TIFF or even PSD.

Large files created by other programmes don't seem to be accepted and give the error message. An in-built Adobe "glitch" wouldn't be unheard of, and maybe it's in there to protect the programme in some way. Who knows?

I may be totally wrong here, but if anyone has more info it would be welcome.

CSx will only open big files of a PSB format.

It sounds like there's something funny with the file produced by Microsoft ICE. Photoshop should be able to open a 39,424 x 5,913 JPEG - I just tried a 43,644 x 4,856 JPEG and it opened in Photoshop CC.

PSD - supposed to be limited to 30,000 x 30,000 pixels and 2GB
PSB - supposed to be limited to 300,000 x 300,000 pixels and 4,000,000TB (that's not a typo!)

Last edited:
Back